Not a kitchen knife, but a knife none the less.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
Just got this one finished, wanted to show a picture. It is for a Pay it forward build on another forum. I had a lot of David Broadwell inspiration....:knight:
2011-05-31_02-05-38_227.jpg

2011-05-31_02-05-13_661.jpg

2011-05-31_02-04-30_548.jpg

Now i know this isn't anywhere on par with David's stuff, but it is only my 7th knife. Hopefully it will get better....

Thanks for looking :biggrin:

It's a beauty ! Who's Damascus and what forum is it for ?

Looks like a steak knife to me! Very nice!

The damascus i bought from a Bladeforum member and the forum is Bladeforums. This knife is for the Pay It Forward build. I get to sell this knife and donate the funds to a local guy who wants to get into sheath making but is having a hard time in this economy coming up with the funds. I hope to be able to sell it as it is important to me to help this guy out. Still have to make a sheath for it, thinking a throat and tip style sheath in copper but carving it.Not quite sure how that will work out yet, but hey...Got to try :)

Thanks
Mike

i like it,,,fromthe pics the handle looks a little big but otherwise i like it....you can definately see your influence.....ryan

I see a lot of Broadwell in there, but it's not a Broadwell! Glad I could inspire you, Mike, and it's a good thing that you're already moving in your own direction. Flowing organic carving, texture, good materials on a good design - yes, this is a good one!

Helping out your friend? That's even better!

David

Thanks guys! David...I hope this knife doesn't make you think i am trying to copy you...I admire your work and like your style. I do have a few questions and wouldn't mind picking your brain for a few minutes.

I really appreciate all your guys' input!
Thanks!
Mike

Mike, I know you're not trying to copy me, but are trying to work in a similar style. There's a difference. There is this South African maker who says he's inspired by my work and Larry Fuegan's work. That's nice. Larry inspired me greatly back in the early and mid 90s. The problem with the SA maker is that he's going out of his way to try to copy my work. He's picked up several elements that I use and put them on his knives. It's . . . irritating. After several years of copying me he should have developed his own style, not "David Broadwell, Cheap & Clunky". Mike, you're newer at this and if some of the elements you are using are similar to mine it's okay as long as you're moving toward your own style. I believe that's what you are doing.

Yes, you can pick my brain. Sometime after the middle of June when my schedule settle down a bit.

Back