Quantcast
Favorite spoons. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite spoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    Fellow spoon addict as well. Currently using Kunz spoons. Niloc, do you know any of the non-damascus brands that are pictured on the black leather? TIA.
    Many from prince bust most "Acquired" from other restaurants and various antique shops and ebay. There is a store that someone posted here that looked like they had a plethora of cool vintage spoons but they never have any up on their website

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Many from prince bust most "Acquired" from other restaurants and various antique shops and ebay. There is a store that someone posted here that looked like they had a plethora of cool vintage spoons but they never have any up on their website
    Ha. Yeah a coworker of mine staged at WD50 and accidently came back with one of their spoons. Pretty sweet.

(Hope Wiley doesn't read this)

I do not have any fancy hand forged spoon (yet), but my favourite spoon was made by my father more than 15 years ago - I mostly use it to eat Halusky which I proudly cook myself

Here it is accompanied by a traditional finish pukko and 2 traditional slovakian hand-made wooden cups (we use them for buttermilk)

And a bit larger photo:

BTW, these are also 2 of the very few studio photos I have ever taken with my 4x5 (focusing was about 20min each)

beautiful work matus, is that all done by your father?

I gotta say I love the Kunz spoons as well. Both sizes. I've been trying for a while to get a damascus one. They are gorgeous.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

Guess I should post mine
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    beautiful work matus, is that all done by your father?
    Thank you franz. No, my father did just the spoon. But I do love the cups - these are made of a pine wood that grows on the stem of cut pine tree (this takes usually around 10 - 15 years) in the spring (when the tree has lot of 'power' in the roots) and only few pine-stems would produce this so called 'wart wood' (I am not sure that is the correct word) that is suitable for a cup (or bowl if the tree was larger). As this wood grows very slowly (and only on the circumference of the stem - the middle slowly rotens) it is very dense what makes it not only very beautiful, but also strong and suitable for this kind of product. The handles are made of damson wood and are traditional for shepherds (that often made these kind of cups in the past).

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Guess I should post mine
    Thanks Son, every time I see it I remember I have to get him to make me one. Love the steampunk look

That is such an interesting spoon son. Do you use it daily?
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

+1 for kunz spoons.

I may be the only person crazy enough to pay for the postage to Australia.
    I'm really not comfortable admitting how much it cost!
    To my horror when they arrived my mother in law thought they were lovely salad servers. She does not understand
    After using them to sauce 120 pax plated banquets... There is no going back.
    I am a saucing machine with these spoons.

Also got one for each of my co-workers engraved with "not just a spoon"
    It's an inside joke... And a very long story.