Favorite spoons.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdksays

Reaction score
So since there isn't a kitchenspoonforum I thought this would be the appropriate place for this thread. What are your favorite work spoons and why? These are mine, there all awesome and infinitely useful, I've had the top one for 6 years and I get really nuts if it goes missing. God help the cook who steals my spoon.

Interesting topic. Unfortunately I can't see the pic.

Aghhh....My favorite subject!

Love the kunz spoon and by far the best spoon I have is the spring tempered Stainless Damascus one Hoss made me.

c68d580b.png

14a2ba5f.png

Loved it so much I got a few more when he made a batch of them, these are his bubble wrap pattern
6b1b977e.png

But I must admit the first Damacus spoon ever made that Ariel made for me gets just as much use if not more, I practically sleep with it.
c3c2bb64.png
51640e69.png

5f60f35e.png

fc57b359.png

Two new ones I got from maxim are very nice to, just wish they were a little longer.

8fad3d8272bdfe8bb7df9d1357926f07.jpg

c81e919638b4f892cf48511a98df2da4.jpg

d1058b3d560586a64714b73d30891c54.jpg

3803486fad78e635d8586146d1a49fd9.jpg

A shot of some of my non damascus every day users.
fda64dbf.png

This spoon from JB prince I love and use all the time, have 4-5 on the line and I had Dell make me two Damascus ones like it that I never seem to remember to take pictures of.

7c5073a4e469f65571d06f43699ecef9.jpg

These three large (9 1/2" long) antique Victorian era ones I too. They were made in NY from "coin silver" before Sterling became the standard. Coin silver is only 85% pure silver so they are not as reactive as sterling, they are harder and heavier weighing in at 3 oz ea. They were made by Lysander P. Coe and Henderson I. Sawyer of New York, New York. Around 1840.

fe50f8958e587c7150cacec0ef9e28a9.jpg

a8a20e5532c979d63ea4fd887c9ade49.jpg

c38de06e27ffe4bd19a2fa4409eaf1ad.jpg

f78193a2625c16027c8d5341a1f663b3.jpg

also a fan of the Kunz spoons here, only the large size, but both straight and perf

Fellow spoon addict as well. Currently using Kunz spoons. Niloc, do you know any of the non-damascus brands that are pictured on the black leather? TIA.

Fellow spoon addict as well. Currently using Kunz spoons. Niloc, do you know any of the non-damascus brands that are pictured on the black leather? TIA.

Many from prince bust most "Acquired" from other restaurants and various antique shops and ebay. There is a store that someone posted here that looked like they had a plethora of cool vintage spoons but they never have any up on their website

Many from prince bust most "Acquired" from other restaurants and various antique shops and ebay. There is a store that someone posted here that looked like they had a plethora of cool vintage spoons but they never have any up on their website

Ha. Yeah a coworker of mine staged at WD50 and accidently came back with one of their spoons. Pretty sweet.

(Hope Wiley doesn't read this)

I do not have any fancy hand forged spoon (yet), but my favourite spoon was made by my father more than 15 years ago - I mostly use it to eat Halusky which I proudly cook myself :happymug:

Here it is accompanied by a traditional finish pukko and 2 traditional slovakian hand-made wooden cups (we use them for buttermilk)

And a bit larger photo:

BTW, these are also 2 of the very few studio photos I have ever taken with my 4x5 (focusing was about 20min each) :)

I gotta say I love the Kunz spoons as well. Both sizes. I've been trying for a while to get a damascus one. They are gorgeous.

beautiful work matus, is that all done by your father?

Thank you franz. No, my father did just the spoon. But I do love the cups - these are made of a pine wood that grows on the stem of cut pine tree (this takes usually around 10 - 15 years) in the spring (when the tree has lot of 'power' in the roots) and only few pine-stems would produce this so called 'wart wood' (I am not sure that is the correct word) that is suitable for a cup (or bowl if the tree was larger). As this wood grows very slowly (and only on the circumference of the stem - the middle slowly rotens) it is very dense what makes it not only very beautiful, but also strong and suitable for this kind of product. The handles are made of damson wood and are traditional for shepherds (that often made these kind of cups in the past).

+1 for kunz spoons.

I may be the only person crazy enough to pay for the postage to Australia.
I'm really not comfortable admitting how much it cost!
To my horror when they arrived my mother in law thought they were lovely salad servers. She does not understand :)
After using them to sauce 120 pax plated banquets... There is no going back.
I am a saucing machine with these spoons.

Also got one for each of my co-workers engraved with "not just a spoon"
It's an inside joke... And a very long story.

Second to looking for odc knives at the local flea markets, I've been finding some cool vintage spoons. Finding a pair, to use for quinelles, is especially fun.

Second to looking for odc knives at the local flea markets, I've been finding some cool vintage spoons. Finding a pair, to use for quinelles, is especially fun.

I need to add some plating spoons to my kit...I want to find an old beater at a flea market but don't really know where to look...people say thrift shops but what kind of thrift shops im wondering?

Anyone tried the Gestura spoon yet?

I bought one from coutelier. Way too big for me personally but I dont work in a pro kitchen. For reference my favorite size is a dessert spoon

My absolute favorite ones I own are Community Coronation dessert spoons, less than seven dollars a pop from like whitewater antiques:
1617836979788.png

I have maybe 20 vintage silver plated dessert spoons from Community but this series is my favorite overall.

I bought one from coutelier. Way too big for me personally but I dont work in a pro kitchen. For reference my favorite size is a dessert spoon

My absolute favorite ones I own are Community Coronation dessert spoons, less than seven dollars a pop from like whitewater antiques:
View attachment 121677

I have maybe 20 vintage silver plated dessert spoons from Community but this series is my favorite overall.
I grew up with these. Took one from my mom a decade ago and it disappeared😕. Every one she had left has been destroyed in one way or another! So nice

I got one.
The bowl is useful but the handle is too skinny for my liking. I prefer the Kunz and my other random cheapies.
Pictured between large and small Kunz...

Thanks for the image, that's really helpful. The handle does seem a bit skinny for my ergonomic preferences. The shape of the bowl is what intrigued me... seems quite quinelle friendly. But that rim around the outside is sort of confusing. It has a lot of personality, and I'm sure I'd get one if the price point were a bit lower. But seeing as how it's quite a bit pricier than the Kunz and Ruhlman offerings, I'll probably stick with them.

I'm all about wood. Wood spoons from Japan are awesome. Note something you may want to use in a pro setting but hey......

So I caved and got the Gestura spoon. Parbaked was right on the money -- the bowl is useful, but the handle is too skinny for my liking (and I have small hands). The length is nice, as is the tumbled finish. Pricey. Definitely a "cook's spoon" as opposed to something ordinary. Overall I like but don't love it. Ruhlmans are still my favorite.

So I caved and got the Gestura spoon. Parbaked was right on the money -- the bowl is useful, but the handle is too skinny for my liking (and I have small hands). The length is nice, as is the tumbled finish. Pricey. Definitely a "cook's spoon" as opposed to something ordinary. Overall I like but don't love it. Ruhlmans are still my favorite.

have you had a chance to try the community ones? super super good for quenelling if that's your jam.

to be fair though for most stuff I just use the Kunz spoons.

Latest posts

Back