Carter "Kitchen Cuts" DVDs?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone has opinions about the Kitchen Cuts DVDs from Murray Carter.

DVD - Kitchen Cuts, Part 1: Paring Knife

DVD - Kitchen Cuts, Part 2: Nakiri Knife

DVD - Kitchen Cuts, Part 3: Slicing Knives

Has anyone seen them? Are they worth owning?

Thanks for any input!

i also have the Nakiri vid. Murray is the best part / only good part (unless you count unintentional comedic value). The "knife experts / chefs" that he has in there are pretty terrible. There's this one scene where one of them spends a minute tying to peel 1 clove of garlic, some how manages to NOT peel his thumb (despite his best efforts) and then spends another 5min cutting and mashing it. It's really worth of the knucklehead thread. Obviously, Murray has better knowledge, and while he says he doesn't have great skills using a knife, he's clearly the best in the video. It would have been better had it just been him.

Don't get me wrong; overall it's not "bad" maybe my expectations have just been ruined by the quality of info and skill shared for free on this forum. When I watched the trailers / read the concept for the video's I was expecting to see some pro's with ninja skills showing badass technique to some wub-wub-wub a-la Theory-style, not some knuckleheads with worse skill than the average KKF member showing technique that I'd call remedial if it some of it wouldn't be so dangerous for a beginner to try. It seems like when you put some people in front of a camera and tell them that they are playing an "expert" they instantly start to sound like Kenny S. or Giovani "the chef." Maybe the "experts" in the other videos are better.

Like I said, the sections with Murray and the bonus content on forging and sharpening are good, as I expected. The only problem that I had with Murray's part was that he totally ignored the nice flat nose and was scraping his board by dragging the edge sideways on it. AAARRRG! That's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Summary: worth borrowing and watching once; a "red box" rental.

PM me if you want borrow it; I have the digital copy.

Back