Old Black Ebony Blocks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Last week we were out on a wood buying trip. One of the places where we stopped was a Myrtlewood dealer with lots of big logs and a few warehouses with a lot of already milled wood. My thinking is that the best stuff will be in the back of the building at the bottom of the pile. After poking around for an hour or so I came across a 5 foot log section of something really heavy. Me and another guy drug it out into the light. Turns out it was an old piece of Black Ebony. The guy who owned the place said he had it for years and forgot he had it. He had bought it from a guy who would cut fingerboards for guitars. After a few minutes of wheeling and dealing I gave him all the money in my wallet and borrowed some from one of the people with me. As far as I am concerned the Ebony was the best part of our wood buying trip.

When I cut and sanded blocks I found the wood to be dark black with some small bands of dark bronze that appear when the light hits just right. I do not know what variety of Ebony this is. But.....it sure looks nice.

This is what the piece looked like before any cutting.
e001_zps0a81d2d5.jpg

Next I cut it into foot long sections that I could handle without giving myself a hernia. Finally I trimmed away flawed portions for a bunch of really nice blocks.
2_zps97161e3d.jpg

These are some of the blocks that I just finished adding to our web store. They are located in our web store in the Natural Woods / Ebony section.

All the blocks in this batch have sold.
I will try to cut some more soon.

Back