Cleaver Love

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
Cleavers and I got off to a rocky start. I tried a bunch and just could not find one that agreed with me.
I however persevered, and this showed up on my doorstep. It is perfect, the blade length to height could not be better for me. I have been getting so much enjoyment from this thing, makes me wonder about spending literally thousands on gyuto's. I should have given the Takeda a better chance before I shelved it, and sold it. I even enjoyed sharpening this monster it's the 240mm version of the 1303. Let's see your cleavers, and what do ya'll think I should try next?
240mm long
100mm Tall
385 grams

IMG_4247.jpg

IMG_4277.jpg

Now that looks like a cleaver I could get into. That was the one problem I had with the 1303 was the length, I'm used to 270mm gyutos, and the handle, which has obviously been remedied. What is the number code for that one?

I have been thinking about getting a cleaver or nakiri for my next knife. My Mother is Filipino and used to use one similar to that one when I was a child.

I used that cleaver at work one of my favorites,it is the 1301 longer version.Very efficient cutter alot of edge on the board.I gave it to a coworker when I retired.

Don't have a clue when it comes to cleavers. Could you enlighten me to what brand that is mike as well as what a 1303 is?

Love that handle. I've been looking to replace the factory slab on my 1103 with something else. Where did you source that one?

I'm down to two cleavers -
Ashi Ginga #6
Sugimoto #30 (190mm x 95mm)

I think that's it for me. I always wanted a Takeda, but this is home-use, and these two cleavers serve me just fine. I use the Sugimoto so much for home prepping that the #6 cleaver is ignored. I really love the asymmetric grinds. And I feel badly for left-handers when I examine the grinds on the face. The grind on the Sugimoto one-sided. It is dead flat on the left (except for the bevel) and convex on the right.

I'm down to two cleavers -
Ashi Ginga #6
Sugimoto #30 (190mm x 95mm)

I think that's it for me. I always wanted a Takeda, but this is home-use, and these two cleavers serve me just fine. I use the Sugimoto so much for home prepping that the #6 cleaver is ignored. I really love the asymmetric grinds. And I feel badly for left-handers when I examine the grinds on the face. The grind on the Sugimoto one-sided. It is dead flat on the left (except for the bevel) and convex on the right.

Not surprised to hear that the #30 performs. I have a CM gyuto with the same dead-flat geometry (and same steel), and I really like it.

Now that looks like a cleaver I could get into. That was the one problem I had with the 1303 was the length, I'm used to 270mm gyutos, and the handle, which has obviously been remedied. What is the number code for that one?

Is that a Fish handle?

K-Fed it's a KF1301L
Yes guys it is a Fish handle

Back