tiny slivers of metal falling off a freshly sharpened edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
after sharpening 3 different carbon gyutos today i noticed a decent amount of metal slivers still hanging on to the edge. i deburred on the stones and used a cork screw to remove them, but im curious why this might be happening. is it something in my technique that needs work? or do i need to spend more time on a low grit stone? is this what people mean by "wired edge"?

I've noticed this too. I always thought it was the burr breaking off unevenly on the stones. I'd like to hear some input as well.

its just residual burr... if you have that after you're done, you may need to spend more time cleaning up the edge. This can be done on stones, strops, felt, cork, whatever... heck, i even use the back of a sponge sometimes.

i deburred on the stones and used a cork screw to remove them

I don't know how I feel about this. Deburring on the stones means making smaller burrs to replace the big ones. And a cork screw? do you mean a cork? In my experience I have never been able to remove burrs effectively with cork.

i dont know why i said cork screw. stropping on a stone works just fine to remove the slivers of steel anyhow, as they are barely hanging on to edge.

Unless someone has extreme luck in abrading through burrs, stones will always leave a burr. Most people just don't notice because they are invisible.

so just to be clear here, the movement im speaking of is nothing more than gentle stropping, on a stone which i always do anyway before progressing to the next stone. it works just fine. plenty of people do this just to do deburr, but i was stropping just to get rid of the slivers of steel that remained. invisible burrs? if you say so.

Like to take as much burr off like you wt. gentle stropping on stone.Any residual as said many ways to clean it up.I have never heard of using a sponge I'm sure it works,just don't wash dishes wt. it.:O. These days I use a leather strop cus its easy & works. Something about cheap newsprint good for stropping & storing oiled carbon knives.

At work I used cardboard & polishing steels tho fr. this forum see many bring small strops to work for touch up & cleaning up edges.

Can you see the actual edge? no. Burrs exist on it which are microscopic, and when they fold or squish they can double or triple edge thickness. AFAIK that fresh off the stones sharpness we all love is just an edge with the burr sitting up, still jagged from the stone. It's just really really small.

Anyway the less stringent you are about removing the burr, the bigger it will be, the edge will be more toothy, initial sharpness will be lower and your edge will degrade faster.

Back