Quantcast
CJA Edged Art/Scorpion Forge - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: CJA Edged Art/Scorpion Forge

Looks great, Cris!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks you two! I'm going to be epoxying the handle today, and shipping it out on Monday.

I've got to say I'm having a hard time letting this one go lol.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Cris, this looks very nice and I'm looking forward to getting to try one of your knives.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Cris, this looks very nice and I'm looking forward to getting to try one of your knives.
    Thanks Chinacats!! I just posted a passaround thread (which has to be approved by the mods). Hopefully it posts soon and I can get to making the knife!
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Ok, the passaround thread is located here. Please, if you're interested in participating...let me know in that thread what you'd like to try out. I haven't made the knife yet...and would like to make something that the majority would be interested in trying. I'm also looking at sending the gyuto-hiki along with it as a comparison of profiles.

Thanks guys!

210mm gyuto.

Overall stats:
    Weight - 186g
    Balance is about 3cm forward of the ferrule.
    Edge length - 215mm (8.5")
    Heel to belly (flat part of edge) - 115mm (4.5")
    Overall length - 395mm (15.5")
    Height at heel - 48mm (1.9")
    Height at midblade - 33.5mm (1.34")
    Height 5cm from tip - 27mm (1")
    So far, this is my favorite of the knives I've made. The design and execution pretty much went flawlessly.

Blade: W2 from Aldo Bruno.
    Spine thickness is 2.16mm above the heel, 2.02mm midblade, and .58mm 1cm from the tip.
    Widest part of the blade is about 1cm below the spine. Thickness there is 2.31mm over the heel, 2.11 midblade, and 1.40 5cm from the tip.
    Thickness 1cm above the edge is .94mm above the heel, .98mm midblade, and .58mm 1cm from the tip.
    I'm pretty happy with this blade overall. Its my first 'tall' blade at 50mm on the heel, and cuts as well as anything I've handled. This blade is very stiff for the thickness due to the overall geometry I designed in. The food release, at least in the cutting I did before finalizing the edge...was ok. I wouldn't call it great by any means. I'm looking forward to feedback from the new owner in order to determine whether improvements are necessary. Things like food release can be pretty subjective.

Handle: Stabilized buckeye burl, water buffalo horn, and and nickel silver.
    Length - 142mm (4.73")
    Ferrule, width x height - 19.2mm x 20.8mm
    Butt, width x height - 23.5mm x 24.2mm (1.013"x1.020")
    This is my 5th handle, and I'm happy to say my process is working out pretty well in my opinion. I tend to prefer my handles to be longer aesthetically, and its a constant fight with balance for me lol. This one could probably stand to be a half inch shorter, which would shift the balance point at least another half inch forward, maybe more.

And now for some pictures:

Weird color shift here. For the record the actual color is somewhere in between.

Please feel free to post your comments and critique!

Very nice, brother!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Very interesting to see the blade first getting thicker from the spine on before tapering. In Germany that was not uncommon, it's called Kesselscher Walkschliff, but isn't used that much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Very interesting to see the blade first getting thicker from the spine on before tapering. In Germany that was not uncommon, it's called Kesselscher Walkschliff, but isn't used that much anymore.
    I do this for a very specific purpose . The idea came from my experience making Japanese swords though.

Cris, you keep on getting better and better, very nice!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater