Quantcast
Help with the grind - how thick, how high, how thin, how do?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with the grind - how thick, how high, how thin, how do?

Help with the grind - how thick, how high, how thin, how do?

I hope this is the appropriate place to place this thread - I think I'm allowed a discussion every 90 days?

On to the topic - I'm kind of lost on how to approach the grind. My goal is a good all-around knife that cuts and releases food well (non-laser).
    • Spine thickness is fixed at approximately 3mm
    • Taper to 1mm towards tip

I came up with this diagram which views the cross section of the grind from behind for a right-handed knife (viewing from choil). I'm a visual and systematic thinker, so I have to do it this way.

That's the grind I've been using for a while. Am I even on the right track? For right-handed asymmetry, I'm assuming the convexity on the right side has to be more pronounced. This is where I'm really lost - I'm unsure on how thin to go at x/y, and how high to go with a/b. Lately I've been going pretty thin at the x/y, about 1mm, and then having a/b about 1/3 the way up the blade.

I realize this is a giant can of worms and there isn't one concrete answer, but any and all input is helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

I would just grind it conservatively and then cut with it. If you don't like it, grind it some more. There's no "right" answer. It's a balance and each person will have a slightly different preference. After you grind one or two knives this way, it will become very clear to you what you want. At least that's how it was for me.

Haha, that's the answer I was a little scared of. Thanks Tinh.

I guess it's time to make a knife for myself to test and abuse.

leave your grind alone, dammit! You are doing perfectly fine. every time I find one I like you gotta mess with it.lol Just, like Marko. The quest for perfection will drive you insane.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

LOL. I doubt it. I think he's just working on a different type of knife is all. I'm sure he's not abandoning his early successes. When you stop trying stuff out, something inside you dies.

Haha........ Son is right. I'm just searching for "better".

Maybe I'm making the mistake of trying to please everybody, but I just can't help but think that there are better grinds out there. Too many possibilities, so I'm trying to get ideas on what works and in what ways.

If that's the case, you should do some grinding and bring your stuff to WCG.

waiting on a tk knife.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I think TK is busy configuring the laser sight...

Don, see if you can dig up Salty's vid where he used clay to show the grind of various well known knives...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    If that's the case, you should do some grinding and bring your stuff to WCG.
    I've got a workhorse I'll be working on and hopefully have it done by then. Might throw it into a passaround after that.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I think TK is busy configuring the laser sight...

Don, see if you can dig up Salty's vid where he used clay to show the grind of various well known knives...
    Definitely haven't seen that one yet. I'll go search for it, thanks!

+ Reply to Thread