Quantcast
CJA Edged Art/Scorpion Forge - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CJA Edged Art/Scorpion Forge

Welcome Cris,

over the time that I have Chatted with you it is one Friendship I do Cherish and I have always enjoyed your work and abilities to build and make Knives . I may have to get the "Tag" myself if things work out in the near future .

Sam

Hey Cris, I'm glad to see that you're "official" now. Welcome!
    It's been good seeing you around these parts the past few weeks and you've some good info added to a few threads, esp the "honyaki (re)finish" one.. now I know why.
    Looks like you're off to a hell of a start. That "big mako" suji is a stunner.
    Soooo yeah, where's that pass-around signup? (for when you get bored making knives for all the beautiful-tattoo-model-pro-catering-kitchen-knife-geek women)
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cro View Post
    Welcome Cris,

over the time that I have Chatted with you it is one Friendship I do Cherish and I have always enjoyed your work and abilities to build and make Knives . I may have to get the "Tag" myself if things work out in the near future .

Sam
    Thanks Sam! You absolutely should! I definitely appreciate your friendship and advice as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Hey Cris, I'm glad to see that you're "official" now. Welcome!
    It's been good seeing you around these parts the past few weeks and you've some good info added to a few threads, esp the "honyaki (re)finish" one.. now I know why.
    Looks like you're off to a hell of a start. That "big mako" suji is a stunner.
    Soooo yeah, where's that pass-around signup? (for when you get bored making knives for all the beautiful-tattoo-model-pro-catering-kitchen-knife-geek women)
    Thanks Justin . It's kind of funny, I love making knives...all kinds. But the kitchen knives really do it for me. When I first started it was Japanese swords. I forged my first katana within a handful of blades. The level of precision and sense of aesthetics required to make a exceptionally functional katana that is also visually balanced and pleasing to the eye is crazy. Kitchen knives are EXACTLY the same in so many ways, only...instead of taking me two months to finish one, it only takes me two weeks . What's not to love about that??

As for a passaround, well...if I knew many more women like Jae (your description nailed her btw lol), you guys would probably never see a knife! Since I don't however...I'm hoping to put something in the works by next month. I had planned for something sooner (and had started beating one out of 1" W1 drill rod lol), but Son derailed me yesterday with a cool little friction folder project. So as soon as the handle for 'Mako' is finished (hopefully today), it'll be on to Son's folder, then I can finish beating out a gyuto for a passaround.

What do you guys think? 225mm? 45-50mm on the heel? Laser or workhorse...or something in between like the one I sent Son?
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Suji handle is finished...here's a sneak peak!

Later this evening once the sun starts to go down I'll try to get some better overall pictures to post .
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

I got your text earlier, but I was waiting to see them on a bigger screen

Beautiful, man. Hows the horn?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I got your text earlier, but I was waiting to see them on a bigger screen

Beautiful, man. Hows the horn?
    Thanks man .

The horn wasn't bad...stunk a little bit, and burned if I let the belt get dull...but other than that it was all good.

I just snapped a couple more pictures...going to upload them now and see how they turned out .

The suji is finished .

Overall stats:
    Weight - 239g
    Balance right at the maker's mark. I honestly thought this one was going to end up a little handle heavy, and require some serious and creative adjustment.
    Edge length - 323mm (12.7")
    Heel to belly (flat part of edge) - 140mm (5.5"), but the upsweep from there is VERY gentle. What I did was watched hundreds of people cutting with suji on YouTube lol, and adjusted the curve of the belly to suit.
    Overall length - 500mm (19.7")
    Height at heel - 41mm (1.61")
    Height at midblade - 33.8mm (1.33")
    Height 5cm from tip - 21mm (.82")
    This blade was a lot of fun to make. If you've read the thread you know its the longest kitchen knife I've ever made lol. There was a couple times I thought it might not make it...but it managed to pull through . Overall I'm very pleased with it. I feel this knife represents my goals with these knives, and hopefully upholds not only my aesthetic standards, but also my performance standards.

Blade: Aldo Bruno W2 (old stock).
    Spine thickness is 2.41mm above the heel, 1.96mm midblade, 1.47 5cm from the tip, and 1mm 1cm from the tip.
    Thickness 1cm above the edge is 1.21mm above the heel, 1.25mm midblade, 1.17 5cm from the tip, and 1mm 1cm from the tip.
    Thickness 2cm above the edge is 2.03mm above the heel, 1.84mm midblade, and 1.45 5cm from the tip.
    The blade seems to cut very well. It went through stacked skirt steak (for fajitas!) like nobodies business. The other things I've cut with it probably weren't a good judge of its intended purpose...but it handled general cooking tasks with ease.

Handle: Stabilized box elder burl, water buffalo horn, and nickel silver.
    Length - 146mm (5.74")
    Ferrule, width x height - 20.1mm x 20.08mm (.79"x.79")
    Butt, width x height - 23.14mm x 23.99mm (.91"x.91")
    I'm very happy with the handle. About the only thing I'd change is the color of the wood portion...as the piece I ordered looked grey in the pictures, lol. The idea was a pure monotone, but it came out so well that I decided to keep it .

So there we are folks, my first suji! Please feel free to critique. If there's anything you prefer (I understand much of that is subjective...but I'm still interested in opinions!) in a knife, or would change if the knife were for you...I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for looking!

I'll give you $100 for it! Cash. Right now.

Seriously, excellent work...something fresh and characterful.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I'll give you $100 for it! Cash. Right now.

Seriously, excellent work...something fresh and characterful.
    That's soooooo tempting =p.

Thank you though, lol. I've never had anything I've made called characterful before lol. I like it!

Your work looks really good, Cris! It reminds me of a guy we haven't heard from in a while...anywho, you're doing good things.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread