Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CJA Edged Art/Scorpion Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Your work looks really good, Cris! It reminds me of a guy we haven't heard from in a while...anywho, you're doing good things.
    It does?? Who's that lol? And thank you!

Reminds me somewhat of Heath's knives on this forum. Pretty similar profile styles and a wide long choil too.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Reminds me somewhat of Heath's knives on this forum. Pretty similar profile styles and a wide long choil too.
    Ahh, Heath Besch? I just went and looked to see if he had a subforum (then of course had to glance through it lol). That gyuto-hiki he and Tom put together could be a ringer for my suji visually, if it didn't have the k-tip. Funny though...this suji, the last gyuto, and the gyuto and petty set before that all were inspired by the same drawing that I made my first kitchen knife from like four plus years ago...lol (you can actually see it in my youtube video lol...am I allowed to post that here??). The visual differences came from different quenching medium (brine vs. oil). Brine causes the blade to curve upwards, while oil causes it to turn down. This suji is the closest to the original drawing of the lot .

Looks like Heath and I share a very limited shop in common as well lol, although I've got to say I'm still kind of jealous of his =p. Mine's HORRIBLE lol.

Cris your work looks great! I love that suji.. not sure about the wide choil - but I guess I'd have to have one in hand to see how it felt.

Quote Originally Posted by ar11 View Post
    Cris your work looks great! I love that suji.. not sure about the wide choil - but I guess I'd have to have one in hand to see how it felt.
    Thanks! I'm partial to the suji as well lol .

On the choil...in using them myself (I'm a home cook)...it seems ok. Comfortable in a pinch grip with a nice radiused area for your middle finger. Son used the gyuto in my avatar for a hard week of prep, and seemed ok with it. I don't know if it was just something easy for him to adapt to, or if it was just completely a non issue though.

After I finish this friction folder I'm making for Son, I'll be doing a gyuto for him. I'm hoping to do a passaround with the same geometry at the same time. They'll both be 240mm or so on the edge, with a more traditional 50mm heel height. Geometry should be somewhere between a workhorse and laser. 2.5-3mm over the heel, no more than 2mm midblade...probably less, tapering sharply to the tip. Edge profile will be flattish, with a nice sweet spot both towards the tip, and on the heel.

I'll let you guys know when I get started .

Cris, I bet they're going to turn out great! If I were just making my first few chef knives, I'd locate a Zwilling Kramer to display what a perfect taper is all about (not that yours aren't, but these are...in my opinion). They also have a nice workable flat spot that I enjoy, but many feel is too long and makes the knife feel like two knives in one. Tip location is high, but again, with that distal taper, man is it nice to use!

Another few knives I'd get my hands on are a DT ITK, for wa handle geometry/size, a Rodrigue to display what materials can be used to produce a knife that feels great all around, and a lowly Misono Dragon so you can get a feel of what a nice, natural 240 gyuto feels like, in hand. Actually, I'd be willing to lend you mine...maybe. Haha.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

WOW!!! Simply beautiful knives. Which I was your dad or caterer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Cris, I bet they're going to turn out great! If I were just making my first few chef knives, I'd locate a Zwilling Kramer to display what a perfect taper is all about (not that yours aren't, but these are...in my opinion). They also have a nice workable flat spot that I enjoy, but many feel is too long and makes the knife feel like two knives in one. Tip location is high, but again, with that distal taper, man is it nice to use!

Another few knives I'd get my hands on are a DT ITK, for wa handle geometry/size, a Rodrigue to display what materials can be used to produce a knife that feels great all around, and a lowly Misono Dragon so you can get a feel of what a nice, natural 240 gyuto feels like, in hand. Actually, I'd be willing to lend you mine...maybe. Haha.
    Thanks Tom! I've been in the slow process of getting my hands on some nice knives. So far I've handled one of Don Nguyen's, one from Mike Davis, and Son's prized Forgecraft with a buckeye burl mhenry handle. All were incredibly different from each other!...and incredibly different than mine as well, lol. The Forgecraft seems to be closest to how mine feel in cutting (to me).

As soon as I can, I'm hoping to take a bike ride up to see Devin. Maybe I can learn a thing or two about a thing or two while I'm there...lol .

Oh, and I'll definitely look into checking out a Misono Dragon. Any negatives to it I should know about beforehand?

Quote Originally Posted by cheflarge View Post
    WOW!!! Simply beautiful knives. Which I was your dad or caterer.
    Thanks!! You wouldn't happen to be a 5'2" tall female tattoo model, would you?

Well, I wasn't intending to post anything but kitchen knives here...but since its for one of our own, I figured I may as well.

My first folding knife. An antiqued (very!) friction folder for Son (Sachem Allison) . Thanks for pushing me to make this one buddy. It was fun!

actually, i do plan to use it in the kitchen. carving wooden spoons and using it for boxes and everything else. my new edc.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.