Quantcast
Knife Commentary - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Commentary

One thing that always bugs me is square choils. It's nice and all if it's been deburred and/or eased, but if the shape in general is square, it just doesn't work for me.

Interesting that you should mention that size. My Bill Burke is 253 mm and it is surprisingly nimble for it's size.
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

The square choil thing doesn't bother me but I can see how it might bother some people. I have a nice callous where the bird finger meets the choil. So no big deal. The square kinda gives me a "locked in" feeling.

In for the discussion!

Awesome topic Tom!
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Topic Number Two: Choils

I've actually sold some of my personal knives that I really really liked because the choil shape was off. If it cramps my hand, I can't do it....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Wait wait, can I still talk about length? My first two chef's knives were from Henckels and I always liked the 230 and only used the 260 for heavy tasks like wedging through a cabbage etc. Then I tried guytos and funayukis in approx. 150, 165, 180, 195, 210, 225, 240, 270, and 300. 300 was much too much for me as a home cook, and the 270 I kept is a Watanabe which is also a pretty massive knife that gets very little workout. But I just like Watanabe knives, so it stays regardless of use. I also have a very little used Hiro AS 270, but I set that aside in case I ever get to making a Western handle... In 240 I kept the Hiro AS and the Blazen. Not sure why no wa gyuto made the cut. Well, I liked the 240 Watanabe but sold it after getting the 270 - depending on where the yen will go, I may buy one again or get one made with a similar profile but less reacting (i.e. when Dave starts using stainless steels ). The 225 Carter IP gyuto I had was a great knife that I had to sell for financial reasons. But on that one I somehow found the handle a little hefty and it got less use than the 240s, even though the length felt better. The 210 fish-handled Takeda should be taken away from me because I hardly ever use it and it keeps developing rust on me.

The 195 Carter HG funayuki took some getting used to. Coming from German knives, for the longest time I wanted something with a little heft to it, and the Carter is just ridiculously light and thin. But over time I learned to appreciate it, and it is now my most used gyuto/funayuki (whatever the difference may be), especially when precise cutting is important. Realizing that, I also sold the 180ish Carter.

To summarize my ramblings: I find the combo of a light 195 and a slightly heftier 240 perfect to do most things as a home cook. I am on Marko's list for a 225 to replace the Carter, and that may be just the perfect bridge between the two.

Stefan

Yes, there are no rules. Hahaha
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Wait wait, can I still talk about length? My first two chef's knives were from Henckels and I always liked the 230 and only used the 260 for heavy tasks like wedging through a cabbage etc. Then I tried guytos and funayukis in approx. 150, 165, 180, 195, 210, 225, 240, 270, and 300. 300 was much too much for me as a home cook, and the 270 I kept is a Watanabe which is also a pretty massive knife that gets very little workout. But I just like Watanabe knives, so it stays regardless of use. I also have a very little used Hiro AS 270, but I set that aside in case I ever get to making a Western handle... In 240 I kept the Hiro AS and the Blazen. Not sure why no wa gyuto made the cut. Well, I liked the 240 Watanabe but sold it after getting the 270 - depending on where the yen will go, I may buy one again or get one made with a similar profile but less reacting (i.e. when Dave starts using stainless steels ). The 225 Carter IP gyuto I had was a great knife that I had to sell for financial reasons. But on that one I somehow found the handle a little hefty and it got less use than the 240s, even though the length felt better. The 210 fish-handled Takeda should be taken away from me because I hardly ever use it and it keeps developing rust on me.

The 195 Carter HG funayuki took some getting used to. Coming from German knives, for the longest time I wanted something with a little heft to it, and the Carter is just ridiculously light and thin. But over time I learned to appreciate it, and it is now my most used gyuto/funayuki (whatever the difference may be), especially when precise cutting is important. Realizing that, I also sold the 180ish Carter.

To summarize my ramblings: I find the combo of a light 195 and a slightly heftier 240 perfect to do most things as a home cook. I am on Marko's list for a 225 to replace the Carter, and that may be just the perfect bridge between the two.

Stefan
    I'll keep the fish safe for you.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Topic Number Two: Choils

I've actually sold some of my personal knives that I really really liked because the choil shape was off. If it cramps my hand, I can't do it....
    What didn't you like about them Tom? Meaning what shape caused your hand to cramp?

On the length thing (as a home cook)...I like a 210-225 for pretty much everything. I don't use shorter knives much except for opening packaging, lol...and I've never used anything much longer.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

so, can i also throw in a new topic?