Quantcast
Knife Commentary - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife Commentary

Yup! No rules. Haha. Just organically working around. Think coffee shop talk.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

topic: serrated bread cleaver

im possessed by that idea since i found this sabatier on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-in-Vintag...item58a30ad6a8
    unfortunately they are all single beveled for lefties. nevertheless id like to try something like this. i thought about getting a budget cleaver and have someone put serrations on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Topic Number Two: Choils

I've actually sold some of my personal knives that I really really liked because the choil shape was off. If it cramps my hand, I can't do it....
    I just need the choil to not be sharp or abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The square choil thing doesn't bother me but I can see how it might bother some people. I have a nice callous where the bird finger meets the choil. So no big deal. The square kinda gives me a "locked in" feeling.
    That makes sense. Would you actually prefer the square over a radius?

270 if I'm throwing on stocks, soups or mirepoix, 240 for detail work. Sometimes I just use one gyuto for a few days straight, and rotate, find an old one and bring it back into the fold, use it for a week straight and repeat.

I love the idea of this thread!

On length, I've pretty much always enjoyed a 10" (254'ish) knife so the 240's seem pretty close to right. The shortest gyuto I currently have is 225 and that is fine. That said, I've been wanting to try something shorter so I've ordered a new 210 from Maxim to see how they wind up performing for this home user. I really enjoy using anything up to about 280 so far, but anything I've used under 200 seems rather short.

On choils, as long as it's not sharp I don't mind it too much...I did break out a file for my Takeda's spine and choil the other day as they were annoyingly crisp. Favorite to date was the Kramer (Henckel's passaround); enjoyed the shape and also like the idea of easing the heel a bit.

For bread knives--use a gyuto!

And finally, I still say the best tool for breaking down chickens is my old Forschner curved boning knife. I've not tried J-knives for this and even though I guess that makes me rather close minded, the old style boner seems to just work and can't imagine any tool working better. Do I need to open my mind and try a honesuki?

Cheers!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

In terms of size, I think length is over-emphasized, while very few people talk about width, which can be equally if not more important (that's what she said)... My first 240 was very tall and felt unwieldy in my hands. Switched to a 210, but missed the extra length. I finally found a good balance in my current knife, which is a 240 with a very narrow french profile, 45mm at the heel. It still feels very nimble despite the length.

To add to the confusion, I want to talk about bolsters, since Lefty mentioned them in the original post... In my mind, they're like a girl who dresses really hot because she's insecure and actually boring in bed (sorry, this is the kind of analogy you get from me at 2 in the morning). Bolsters are seductive and feel great in your hand when you're air-chopping in the store, but they make the knife's balance too neutral for my taste. When you're actually using it in the kitchen, a neutrally-balanced knife feels like it's just sitting there and expecting you to do all the work (see, it's a good analogy) while a blade-heavy knife feels like it's working with you. So it's not bolsters per-se I have a problem with, but neutrally balanced knives, which sort of go hand-in-hand.

And yes, chinacats, bread knives are for people who can't sharpen

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    In terms of size, I think length is over-emphasized, while very few people talk about width, which can be equally if not more important (that's what she said)... My first 240 was very tall and felt unwieldy in my hands. Switched to a 210, but missed the extra length. I finally found a good balance in my current knife, which is a 240 with a very narrow french profile, 45mm at the heel. It still feels very nimble despite the length.

To add to the confusion, I want to talk about bolsters, since Lefty mentioned them the original post... In my mind, they're like a girl who dresses really hot because she's insecure and actually boring in bed (sorry, this is the kind of analogy you get from me at 2 in the morning). Bolsters are seductive and feel great in your hand when you're air-chopping in the store, but they make the knife's balance too neutral for my taste. When you're actually using it in the kitchen, a neutrally-balanced knife feels like it's just sitting there and expecting you to do all the work (see, it's a good analogy) while a blade-heavy knife feels like it's working with you. So it's not bolsters per-se I have a problem with, but neutrally balanced knives, which sort of go hand-in-hand.

And yes, chinacats, bread knives are for people who can't sharpen
    LOL!!

I like shorter (height) knives as well, in the 40-45mm range...with a bit of forward balance. About 1.5" north of the ferrule works for me usually.
    [B][I]I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..[/I][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The square choil thing doesn't bother me but I can see how it might bother some people. I have a nice callous where the bird finger meets the choil. So no big deal. The square kinda gives me a "locked in" feeling.
    Yep, I got that callus and the one right next to it from the spine. I did have a knife once whose spine was so sharp it actually cut off that callus on my index finger. Never again.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

You must be new, don't you sleep?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrisAnderson27 View Post
    LOL!!

I like shorter (height) knives as well, in the 40-45mm range...with a bit of forward balance. About 1.5" north of the ferrule works for me usually.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.