Misono UX10 spine?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarfrat

Reaction score
Are the spines of Misono UX10 knives flat? Rounded? Something in between?

The UX10 spines are ever so slightly raised, but more flat. It has corners.

Picture:

Hope thats helpful! :)

I actually miss my UX10. Never should have sold that one.

I sold mine, used the money to buy a ks.

It def has one of the best western handles on the market, but I didn't really like the steel much. Whether it was sharpening or edge retention. It is a very comfortable knife to use. I just prefer the lighter weight of wa handles.

It's a very overpriced knife post price hike.

In general, I know if someone has a Misono, they likely give a crap, use their knives, and have a reliably good blade by their side. With every knife I'm fortunate enough to own/handle/hang out with, I still love my Misonos. In fact, I just used my Moly a couple days ago, and loved every minute of it!

I'm revamping the thread sorry. :)

I’m not familiar to use 70/30 bevel knife, always use 50/50 knife. Never sharpen 70/30 before. First of all what do you think about those angles? (I’m right handed) (If I buy) eventually gonna need to sharpen it and I don’t trust myself about that.

In brief I need a 180mm gyuto as a secondary knife. Relatively lower HRC and monosteel is important for me. I’m interested in Misono 440 and UX10 but don’t know which one is better.

So which one would you suggest?

Thanks.

It’s not too hard to learn how to sharpen asymmetrically. Smaller angle on the right side, bigger on the left, although I also found myself playing with the amount of time spent on each side, too. I’m out of practice, though, since basically all knives I’ve had recently I sharpen 50/50ish. Really, the asymmetry is only a problem if the knife starts steering a bunch, and then you sharpen to correct this. There’s a lot of good info on this site already, in any case.

I hated the steel on my UX10, fwiw. Found it unpleasant to sharpen, and don’t remember many good qualities. That said, I owned it right when I started to get into good knives, so I wasn’t a very good sharpener back then.

The Misonos come all with a weak, overly convexed edge due to factory buffering you best get rid of as soon as possible. For the right bevel: start at a low angle to remove the shoulder and raise the spine little by little to create a convex bevel ending at 10-12°. You want the bevel to form a continuous arc leading to the very edge. Here a choil picture of a thick knife (a yo-deba) to show what I mean.
IMG-20180511-215023-BURST004-1.jpg

For the left side, do what is necessary to compensate for clockwise steering by balancing the friction on both sides. Remember, the edge is strongly off-centered to the left. Any bevel will be very small. I would suggest a straight bevel at 15-20°. See how that works for you. Loosen your grip, and see if steering remains a problem after a few days. You may increase the left angle and thin behind the edge on the right one to further reduce steering if it still bothers you. Once you have found a balance that works for you, thin both sides equally behind the edge with next sharpenings.
440 OR UX-10? The 440 has a more classic design, the UX-10 is more innovative: you may like it or not. Both have an excellent Fit&Finish and Misono delivers an outstanding QC.
The 440 is a very decent knife, well made, not spectacular in any respect.
Steel with UX-10 is harder and keeps its bite even after the first dulling —that explains its popularity. Sharpening it is no fun at all. Price is high. You may almost find a Ryusen Blazen R2 for that money.

Last edited:
P.S.: 440 spine is polished, but still square, not rounded. Some like it to be sharp for scrapping meat from bones. UX-10 spine is neither rounded. Little work to get it to your liking. Anyway, you will need some grades of sandpaper to ease the choil if you're a pinch-gripper.
Important to know with all Misonos: they come with a very elegant, sharp arrow- or spear-like tip. There's a caveat, though: a slightly lower tip as more common with Japanese blades isn't that fragile. Expect little damage to easily occur. No big deal, as a tip repair can be done in a few minutes. Still to be considered if the knife will be used in a crowded environment.

The Misonos come all with a weak, overly convexed edge due to factory buffering you best get rid of as soon as possible. For the right bevel: start at a low angle to remove the shoulder and raise the spine little by little to create a convex bevel ending at 10-12°. You want the bevel to form a continuous arc leading to the very edge.
For the left side, do what is necessary to compensate for clockwise steering by balancing the friction on both sides. Remember, the edge is strongly off-centered to the left. Any bevel will be very small. I would suggest a straight bevel at 15-20°. See how that works for you. Loosen your grip, and see if steering remains a problem after a few days. You may increase the left angle and thin behind the edge on the right one to further reduce steering if it still bothers you. Once you have found a balance that works for you, thin both sides equally behind the edge with next sharpenings.
440 OR UX-10? The 440 has a more classic design, the UX-10 is more innovative: you may like it or not. Both have an excellent Fit&Finish and Misono delivers an outstanding QC.
The 440 is a very decent knife, well made, not spectacular in any respect.
Steel with UX-10 is harder and keeps its bite even after the first dulling —that explains its popularity. Sharpening it is no fun at all. Price is high. You may almost find a Ryusen Blazen R2 for that money.

Wow, thank your for that detailed explanation, I'm enlightened. I'm gonna try my best. Still little nervous though. I'm really in live with UX10's design I'm afraid. I needed a good RTB to buy that and you gave me those. R2 steel is too hard for my purpose I think so I'm gonna pass.

P.S.: 440 spine is polished, but still square, not rounded. Some like it to be sharp for scrapping meat from bones. UX-10 spine is neither rounded. Little work to get it to your liking. Anyway, you will need some grades of sandpaper to ease the choil if you're a pinch-gripper.
Important to know with all Misonos: they come with a very elegant, sharp arrow- or spear-like tip. There's a caveat, though: a slightly lower tip as more common with Japanese blades isn't that fragile. Expect little damage to easily occur. No big deal, as a tip repair can be done in a few minutes. Still to be considered if the knife will be used in a crowded environment.

Again I'm a newbie in this too. I'm a pinch-gripper and most of the cheap knives hurts my index finger. So my question Which grit sizes do you suggest on sandpaper? It's not gonna affect the cosmetics right? Do I need to do anything after that? Thank you.

I miss Mari - she was a breath of fresh air here.

To the question - I like the 440, especially when price is a consideration. I consider it one of the better intro knives. Don't like the UX, very average mid range knife. And it's part of the reason SS has a bad rep for sharpening.

To the question - I like the 440, especially when price is a consideration. I consider it one of the better intro knives. Don't like the UX, very average mid range knife. And it's part of the reason SS has a bad rep for sharpening.

Well Dave thank you. I'm confused again. 70 percent of the forums like 440 and Carbon. I need to go back to 2010's and read EVERYTHING again to find something to keep the flame burning. :D

But joking aside, for a home cook like me, I believe what you are talking gonna affect me probably around %0000.5 right? As far as I understand (I read almost every comment about Misono in this forum) the differences between 440 and UX10 is in pro level and I'm really beginner on this. :) (I become a member like couple days ago and other that that constantly reading.)

My only concern right now -also quite funny thought- couple nerd knife enthusiast friend of mine are gonna make fun of me or not. :)

What do you think of the 440 handle shape?

Again I'm a newbie in this too. I'm a pinch-gripper and most of the cheap knives hurts my index finger. So my question Which grit sizes do you suggest on sandpaper? It's not gonna affect the cosmetics right? Do I need to do anything after that? Thank you.
Depends what you're looking for. Whether you want to round it, or only chamfer the edge. You might start at P240 and go on from there, P400, 800 or even higher. For really rounding the spine, quite some steel has to be abraded and P120 would be a good starting point. Probably no need to go that far to make your grip comfortable.

Guys I have one last question.
According to my research those 3 knives come forward also.

Ashi Ginga Stainless Western Gyuto
Tanaka VG-10 Nashiji Western
Takamura VG10 Tsuchime

Do you have any experience, any suggestion if you compare with Misono's?
Would you rather choose one of this three instead of Misono?

Thanks.

I like the Tanaka Ginsanko quite a bit and the stainless clad blue one as well. No experience, and not likely to get any experience with VG10.

Another I like a lot in that price range is the EN from JKI. Think it's out of stock now but it's worth asking about.

Well, I sold it recently. :) I had complicated relationship with it. It was on laserish side and cutting almost everything like hot butter. As @Benuser said, before even if it gets dull it's performance was really good.

My problem was cutting wet stuff and not much knuckle clearance for my big hands. (I was using 185mm gyuto) Sometimes it stuck (I'm not sure if I was too gentle) on idaho potatoes and onions that made me turn off. (Again this is my experience it may not happen on anybody else.) I felt better after using Mac MTH-80 (200mm) for a beater and happy with it now.

In summary, If you looking for a simple steel, beater knife or entry level Jknives I think it's one of the better alternative. I never used them but If you looking for better start people here generally suggest Ashi Ginga, Gesshin or Kaeru.

Back