Takeda sasanoha or classic Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leer1217

Reaction score
In my never ending desire to try new knives I had a quick question. After reading all the praise on the takedas I'm trying to decide between the Gyuto and the sasanoha. I read on a post from a while back that the sasanoha was thicker than the Gyuto. I like the profile of the sasanoha, but can anybody that has tried both enlighten me as to how much thicker? What they prefer and why? Obviously the Gyuto is much taller. Thanks in advance!

Rich.

Get the yanagiba and stop playing games. I don't think I'll ever use a gyuto again.

interesting thread! my wife, who doesn't share my passion for kitchen knives (in fact she's afraid to use them), said yesterday to me, while i was watching some pictures of takeda gyutos, "wow, those look cool". so, i think this is the perfect excuse to get one for myself!!! :lol2:

i'd rather go for a classic one. why? well, i don't know how tall a 240 sasanoha is, but i enjoy using my santokus because they are rather tall. so i guess i might prefer the tall classic gyuto...

classic gyuto for more veggies, sasanoha for more proteins.

mike. you're no help haha. i received a shig suji and ordered a carter yesterday. i'm "trying" to be rational :p i need some knives rehandled too, but it doesn't look like i'll be able to make it down to houston before you leave for your offshore gig! i digress, what makes it hard for me to decide is that i use a rocking motion but also pull/push sometimes. anybody try the stainless yet?

I have a stainless 270mm suji. It has great profile and and grind, it is a little thicker than my carbon Takeda's. I was thinking about a passaround?

mike. you're no help haha. i received a shig suji and ordered a carter yesterday. i'm "trying" to be rational :p i need some knives rehandled too, but it doesn't look like i'll be able to make it down to houston before you leave for your offshore gig! i digress, what makes it hard for me to decide is that i use a rocking motion but also pull/push sometimes. anybody try the stainless yet?

Get the yanagiba and stop playing games. I don't think I'll ever use a gyuto again.

I've never held a yanagiba, but can it really be used for tasks other than slicing proteins? effectively of course. a long single beveled knife sounds difficult for anything else

Takeda's "yanagiba" are actually sujis. They're double-beveled :)

I have a stainless 270mm suji. It has great profile and and grind, it is a little thicker than my carbon Takeda's. I was thinking about a passaround?

What do you think about the 'stickiness' of the new stainless cladding?

Back