Trip to Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rjgogue

Reaction score
So a good buddy and former culinary school classmate of mine is gonna be heading to Tokyo in September. He was wanting to know if there are any recommendations on where to shop for knives. He's trying to stay off the beaten trail and find good pricing and selection. Also any good restaurants to try out? (I work at Uchi and he works at Qui, both here in Austin, TX, and we both have a passion for food especially haute cuisine) Thanks in advance KKF.

I highly recommend Aritsugu right outside of Tsukiji market. I picked up an A-type wa Gyuto that is still number one in my line up. Takes a great edge and has awesome retention.

I highly recommend Aritsugu right outside of Tsukiji market. I picked up an A-type wa Gyuto that is still number one in my line up. Takes a great edge and has awesome retention.

Do you remember how much it was running cost wise? We are trying to plan budget and it would be very helpful to know approximate costs. Thanks!

Asakusa, which is in the northern part of town (near the sky tree), is where most of the knife shops are. Otherwise, cheap, stall ramen is the best part of Japan.

Does the A-type still require considerable "opening up" (grinding lots of excess metal off to get a cross-section profile to suite the individual) before use?

I have one and i personally don't think it needs anymore, had it sharpened by the store outside Tsukiji market.

Not the thinest but a great knife and it holds its edge for ages.

If he goes to Kyoto, he should definitely stop by Shigeharu near Nijo Castle. Oldest knife smith in Kyoto! Been around since the Kamakura period! Just be sure to bring a translation book or app. Shigeharu-San will try but is not a very good English speaker. Knives are beautiful tho! Just be sure to ask for tezukuri (handmade) and he'll show you his knives!

Back