Thread: Heiji — appreciation and assistance

Heiji — appreciation and assistance

I have wanted a Heiji for some time, and just got around to getting two of them, one from Jon and one from the forum. Great knives!

I particularly like the large bevel on each side, almost like a traditional Japanese knife, but with two bevels. And thus two questions:

- could I sharpen the knife, with Jnats, just like a single bevel, that is, flush down on the bevel to the stone?

- what other gyutos out there have this pronounced wide double bevel? Really like it!

you can totally sharpen it like a single bevel, but on both sides. However, i would use a microbevel with this particular steel.

similar wide bevel knives in my inventory include kochi, zakuri, gesshin uraku kurouchi white #2, gesshin kagekiyo, gonbei hammered damascus, and probably some more i am not thinking of right now. However, most similar to Heiji in terms of the way the edge is done might be kochi and hinoura-san.

Thanks, Jon. Also recently got two Kochis from you, and they are, indeed close — particularly for the money. Wish you had more of the stainless kurouchi clad available! Will check out the others...

Despite having a bunch of totally competent knives and a severe dread of international shipping prices from the USA, I think I'm going to snag a Kochi when the next shipment comes in if I'm fast enough.

Jon has been posting Kochi teaser pics via social media and instagram....I certainly hope he expands the Kochi lines.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Jon has been posting Kochi teaser pics via social media and instagram....I certainly hope he expands the Kochi lines.
    ... something tells me he did already ...