Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on sharpening

Advice on sharpening

Hey all.

i wanted to know if the minosharp ceramic pull-through sharpeners will be good for Japaneses western blades other than global.

i own a masamoto VG gyuto, and the angle of the global seem to be OK for my knife as well.

will it do a decent job? or will it ruin my knife since it is not a 50\50 bevel?

looking forward to hear your thoughts.

better go get a descent stone. freehand sharpening is no quantum physiks. the minosharp ur considering is **** for your masamoto.

Here is a thread, it talks about a different sharpening system? But alot of the advice will be relevant to your question.
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ghlight=Nakiri
    Huw

Make simplicity seem like abundance - Tetsuya Wakuda

here's the thing, i am more into cooking than i am into knives, i don't cook for a leaving or anything, and i currently i have only one "high-end" knife (it is high end by my standards off course).

most of my usage with the knife, is on weekends, and perhaps a small salad on week days.
    so my knife probably won't need frequent sharpening.

I have had this knife for about a month now, and it is still as sharp as the day i got it (was sharpened at the korin store NY).

I was thinking of getting one high grit stone (like 6000#), for giving the knife a polish every once in a while, but for regular use, just to keep it sharp, get a pull through sharpener.

So I don't have any high expectation from the gizmo, i just want to know if it will do a decent job? , and more importantly, will it damage the knife?

And on the subject of stones.

if i go with stones only, would a sun-tiger (that's the brand), 1000#\6000# be OK?

maybe stropping would be enough for your usage?!

The short answer to both those questions is yes, it will do a "decent" job keeping the knife sharp, but it will eventually damage the knife, thickening it up behind the edge, and changing the profile.
    Huw

Make simplicity seem like abundance - Tetsuya Wakuda

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    maybe stropping would be enough for your usage?!
    hmmm, now that's something i did not consider.
    what would you recommend for that, a fine stone? some paste?

I think you'd be better off with a ceramic "steel" for maintanence, and just have someone sharpen it professionally when needed. That would be a much better way to keep your masamoto's edge feeling sharp with much less wear and tear than the pull through sharpener will cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    The short answer to both those questions is yes, it will do a "decent" job keeping the knife sharp, but it will eventually damage the knife, thickening it up behind the edge, and changing the profile.
    OK, i was thinking about going with stones only anyway, so i guess i will do that.
    few questions:

is a sun-tiger 1000#/6000# stone OK to start with? (i am asking about the brand and the grit...)
    if those things ruin the blade, how come global recommends them for their knives?