Advice on sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citizenY

Reaction score
Hey all.

i wanted to know if the minosharp ceramic pull-through sharpeners will be good for Japaneses western blades other than global.

i own a masamoto VG gyuto, and the angle of the global seem to be OK for my knife as well.

will it do a decent job? or will it ruin my knife since it is not a 50\50 bevel?

looking forward to hear your thoughts.

better go get a descent stone. freehand sharpening is no quantum physiks. the minosharp ur considering is **** for your masamoto.

here's the thing, i am more into cooking than i am into knives, i don't cook for a leaving or anything, and i currently i have only one "high-end" knife (it is high end by my standards off course).

most of my usage with the knife, is on weekends, and perhaps a small salad on week days.
so my knife probably won't need frequent sharpening.

I have had this knife for about a month now, and it is still as sharp as the day i got it (was sharpened at the korin store NY).

I was thinking of getting one high grit stone (like 6000#), for giving the knife a polish every once in a while, but for regular use, just to keep it sharp, get a pull through sharpener.

So I don't have any high expectation from the gizmo, i just want to know if it will do a decent job? , and more importantly, will it damage the knife?

And on the subject of stones.

if i go with stones only, would a sun-tiger (that's the brand), 1000#\6000# be OK?

The short answer to both those questions is yes, it will do a "decent" job keeping the knife sharp, but it will eventually damage the knife, thickening it up behind the edge, and changing the profile.

I think you'd be better off with a ceramic "steel" for maintanence, and just have someone sharpen it professionally when needed. That would be a much better way to keep your masamoto's edge feeling sharp with much less wear and tear than the pull through sharpener will cause.

The short answer to both those questions is yes, it will do a "decent" job keeping the knife sharp, but it will eventually damage the knife, thickening it up behind the edge, and changing the profile.

OK, i was thinking about going with stones only anyway, so i guess i will do that.
few questions:

is a sun-tiger 1000#/6000# stone OK to start with? (i am asking about the brand and the grit...)
if those things ruin the blade, how come global recommends them for their knives?

if you already have the sun tiger then you'll do okay with that. =D

Either that or get a felt strop with some diamond spray, depending on the steel, with light use that should maintain an edge for a while. However there will be a time when you will need stones to actually sharpen the knife again.

many thanks for all the answers.

I think i will opt for the 2 sided stone 1000#\6000#, and i guess i will use the 6000# more often just to "revive" the edge.

somehow, i don't see my self messing diamond spray, i live in an apartment, and the whole thing sounds kinda messy.
i do like my knife to be sharp, very sharp, but i am not planing on performing any surgery with it :)

Korin has a nice 1000/6000 combo stone reasonably priced, as do a few other vendors here. If you're happy with your sharpened knife , you'll likely be very happy with the stone quality.

Korin has a nice 1000/6000 combo stone reasonably priced, as do a few other vendors here. If you're happy with your sharpened knife , you'll likely be very happy with the stone quality.

Yes, unfortunately i did not think about the stones at the time. definitely a mistake...
I live in Israel, and water stones are not exactly a household item here. not too much to choose from, and the prices are about 30% above what you get at the US.
(probably due to shipping costs and low demand).

anyway, it will probably be a good while until my wife or I will get to the US again, so i think i will settle for those tiger stones, those are the only ones that seem OK and yet don't cost more than the knife itself.

And since i probably wont need to resharpen that often, i think that should suffice.

I'm not sure what the Isreali newsprint is like...but if you lay a single sheet of dry newsprint over your stone, and strop on that...it'll sustain a good edge for a looooong time. When you sharpen, strop over the newsprint to remove the burr.

I currently use felt strops loaded with diamond spray...but sometimes (and it's most likely my lack of sharpening skill...i.e. overpolished edge) at the end of a session if the blade doesn't feel 'sticky' or 'toothy' enough...I'll run it over the newsprint. Insta edge :).

Keep the idea of learning freehand on whetstone,it is the best way to sharpen a knife.I keep hearing Japanesechefknives have good overseas shipping.They have a good 1000/4000 combo stone.You can deburr on newspaper.

I could be wrong but I think Sun Tiger and King stones are made by the same manufacturer. You can get fine results off Kings, I would imagine the combo stone would give you the same kind off edge.

Thank you all for all info.
I will probably get the combo stone and see how it goes.
:knife:

I used to use the Mino-sharp and will tell you that it is a cheap device that doesn't do a great job of sharpening, even if you are comparing it to similar devices. You will soon be wondering why your "good" knife cuts no better than all those "bad" knives that came before it. I agree that using a rod and then having it professionally sharpened would be a good route if you don't want to freehand, although learning to sharpen with a stone is not terribly difficult

Back