Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salmonella in Your Spices

Salmonella in Your Spices

Sort of an interesting article on spices being contaminated by salmonella.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...bor-salmonella

I can definitely see this. Anyhow who has travelled to the places where spices are often grown, has probably seen them being dried on the side of the road, peoples roof tops and other less than sanitary places.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

If I don't read it - it never happened lalalalalalala not reading

Okay - I broke down - Scary stuff - 7% is pretty high when you think about it.

Thanks for the share Drinky! Forwarded this to the FB cooking page I maintain.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    If I don't read it - it never happened lalalalalalala not reading

I am fighting with myself to not click on the link....I just don't want to know.....but now I think I do know even if I don't click...ugh

remember, you are cooking with these spices at temperatures that will kill the salmonella and many spices are antibacterial.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    remember, you are cooking with these spices at temperatures that will kill the salmonella and many spices are antibacterial.
    Not always with ground pepper. In fact, it is probably the most used and most NOT cooked. Just saying.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Made me think of the spices a friend has in his kitchen. They are so ancient, all salmonella will have died of old age by now...

Stefan

Meh, it is pretty disturbing to think about potentially just sprinkling on a dash of fresh salmonella after your food has cooked, but I really don't think that it's worth worrying about on a day-to-day basis with healthy adults.

A solid immune system / healthy body will usually just laugh at a little salmonella. We're all probably exposed dozens of times a week and we don't get sick. There really is something to the idea that constant, low-level exposure to the germs in our environment helps to prevent us from getting sick. I understand it's place the pro kitchen, but the trend towards increased sanitation in every aspect of life is absurd and counter-productive.

I guess this is potentially good to keep in mind though if you're cooking for someone very young, old, or with a badly compromised immune system.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded