What to do with gifted Shun

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynic2701

Reaction score
I've been a lurker here for a while, but have recently encountered a dilemma. I was gifted a Shun Hiro serrated utility knife and I'm sort of scratching my head as to what to do with it.

I believe I have three options:

1. Sell the knife and use the money to buy a knife that I would actually use. While this is what I want to do, I will feel somewhat bad for selling off the knife.

2. Trade the knife for something that I would actually use. I'm not sure, though, who would both want this particular knife and also would have something I'd want. Again, I'd also feel somewhat bad for trading the knife.

3. Keep the knife, but since I wouldn't have use for a serrated knife, I'd sharpen the serrations out. It would probably end up being a decent petty in that case. The problem is that I'd have to take ~3 mm of steel off of the knife to do so. I'd also feel the least bad about doing this.

Here are some pictures below:

If you sold the knife, you will probably earn enough to buy a better petty than you could make out of it. So unless you have a fetish for major grinding and steel removal, I'd do that.

But if you do decide to rehabilitate it, do a WIP on the project. :)

Another vote to sell it, or you can re-gift it if you wont feel ashamed.

If I'm not mistaken, the Shun Hiro is exclusive to Williams-Sonoma, and they have an excellent return policy. So, if it is unused, I'd suggest trying to return it to Williams-Sonoma for credit, or for a knife you will use. If not, sell it, as you will not have an easy time removing the serrations (the core steel is SG2), thinning the blade after you've done so, and etching the damascus to finish up.

Rick

Oh, BTW, welcome to KKF!

Sell it on eBay if you can't get a credit or refund at Williams-Sonoma. :) Is there a magical machine that can automatically sharpen those serrateds?

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I guess I'll give Williams and Sonoma a call to see if they will accept it since I don't have a receipt.

Honestly, I'd just keep it and use it. I don't think those serrations would really damage my uses for petty knives, and it's a pretty (if busy) knife.

I'm with Edipis. Keep it for bagels and for making bread bowls in the winter (if you're into that sort of thing). Then, with a budget independent of this knife's cost and zero guilt, buy what you really want!

If you want to try returning do not use it.I've sharpened some pretty strange profiles on Shuns.Not one of these yet tho it looks like you could sharpen it on a whetstone,would not try to grind it down you could mess up the damascus among other things.As mentioned you might find it a useful blade.

Honestly, I'd just keep it and use it. I don't think those serrations would really damage my uses for petty knives, and it's a pretty (if busy) knife.

:plus1:

Surprisingly pretty....maybe the only pretty Shun I've seen.

Welcome to KKF!

I would get a big round loaf of sourdough, stick the knife right in the top (at a slight yet jaunty angle), and then coat the bread in spar varnish. Once it hardens I'd then place it in the center of my front yard, there to remain until drawn by the rightful king, who shall then unite all the land!:knight:

or I guess you could use it for bagels

Ha. It looks like the Excaliber route might be option number four.

One of the funniest post I've seen in a while. Thanks for the laugh, mk.

I'd sell it. I might feel bad for a minute or two but I'd get over it. No reason to stick a $100 bill in your drawer and not use it.

leave it for the in laws, wife, girlfriend or significant other to use. it would make an excellent decoy knife.

leave it for the in laws, wife, girlfriend or significant other to use. it would make an excellent decoy knife.

Agreed my wife got a set of Wusthof's for her. She is scared of the J blades. Good to have a few knives for others to use without worrying about them damaging your personal pieces.

Son has the best idea, look at that thing, it has all the things going for it. Shun, damascus, diawood handle, stainless, serrations, it's just crying mother in law knife. Leave this thing as a decoy in your kitchen and you will never have to worry about your sexy carbons again.

Son has the best idea, look at that thing, it has all the things going for it. Shun, damascus, diawood handle, stainless, serrations, it's just crying mother in law knife. Leave this thing as a decoy in your kitchen and you will never have to worry about your sexy carbons again.
^^^^Im with this guy!

You didn't mention who gave it, but obviously someone tried very hard to get you a thoughtful gift. They obviously knew you well enough to know that you are a knife aficionado, and spent a significant amount of money ($230 is a lot for most people to spend on a knife) on what they consider a top grade knife. If you get rid of it, and they find out, it may be a bit of a slap in the face. It would be a shame to ruin a friendship or start a family feud over this.

Why all the shun-hating on this forum? Is it this knife in particular, or Shuns in general? Is it just the serrations? Have you tried it out? Why not take it for a spin and see what it can do?

You didn't mention who gave it, but obviously someone tried very hard to get you a thoughtful gift. They obviously knew you well enough to know that you are a knife aficionado, and spent a significant amount of money ($230 is a lot for most people to spend on a knife) on what they consider a top grade knife. If you get rid of it, and they find out, it may be a bit of a slap in the face. It would be a shame to ruin a friendship or start a family feud over this.

Why all the shun-hating on this forum? Is it this knife in particular, or Shuns in general? Is it just the serrations? Have you tried it out? Why not take it for a spin and see what it can do?

I agree.. if it was a gift from a close friend or family just keep it. It's not totally useless.

My personal opinion of Shuns is that they're decent knives, but they're also very overpriced for what you get. It's understandable because Shun does a lot of marketing, and they have to recover their marketing costs somehow. Their marketing is also why some people dislike them as many people who call themselves chefs on television are sponsored by Shun even though many of them would not make it in a professional kitchen. The serrations are not exactly a plus for most people who like to sharpen knives, although I think the first reason I listed is the major influencing factor for the disdain of Shuns.

I'd sell and buy something you want. Less of a hassle than grinding out the serrations.

It was a gift from my Dad. He's well aware of my knife hobby (and sharpening hobby) and has bought me a lot of knives over the years. In the past two years I've probably spent $600-800 on knives for him.

He typically asks me what knife I'd like before buying anything since he knows that I'm very particular about my knives. This one was a surprise--he didn't ask first.

I really don't think he'd get angry or annoyed over it, he'd probably just laugh and roll his eyes and remember to ask what I want next time. In my family, I am notorious for being difficult to buy presents for since I almost never actually "need" anything and almost anything I "want" I end up purchasing myself.

Hold on to it and use it. I keep a serrated Mundial petty/utility with me and it's surprising how many times that knife becomes useful.

Oh, and in my experience with VG-10 Shuns (specifically the Classic line) is that they chip out easily. Several people in my family have one or more, and my first "real" knife was a Shun Classic Santoku (sp?). I still have it and mainly use it as a beater knife. With an edge that is more obtuse than pretty much every other knife I own, they chip out readily even cutting things like lettuce and peppers. I bought my Dad a VG-10 Al Mar chef's knife that holds a better edge, is better ground, uses better materials (cocobolo handle), is better constructed, and is more aesthetically pleasing than an equivalent Shun knife and all for about $10 less.

While I wouldn't call a Shun a "bad" knife, I also wouldn't call it a good value or a knife aficionado's dream knife. With the money that this thing cost (which looks to be around $230-240ish) one could buy a number of fairly interesting knives.

I also have no worries about the gf/in-laws/my own mother using my knives. I've pretty much bought all of them "pretty" looking stainless damascus knives of their own.

Nice knife! I believe this knife got its steel from the Takefu Specialty Steel company, the same company that provides steel for the SG2 ZKramer knives. I think you should keep it.

they chip out readily even cutting things like lettuce and peppers.

C'mon man, I highly doubt that.

Shuns, especially the newer lines can be overpriced, come in odd designs and are obviously not the greatest brand. I do have a classic 10 inch from when I was in school years ago (a great step up from the school issued Mercer) that did chip when I clumsily broke down a chicken with it, but I fixed it, used it til I moved on to more serious blades and it still sits in the bottom of my drawer and comes out occasionally as a beater or for a friend/employee to use, and it works fine and keeps a decent edge. I would return it for a Shun that you would use sometimes, I dont think that would offend your pops.

Back