Quantcast
What to do with gifted Shun
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with gifted Shun

What to do with gifted Shun

I've been a lurker here for a while, but have recently encountered a dilemma. I was gifted a Shun Hiro serrated utility knife and I'm sort of scratching my head as to what to do with it.

I believe I have three options:

1. Sell the knife and use the money to buy a knife that I would actually use. While this is what I want to do, I will feel somewhat bad for selling off the knife.

2. Trade the knife for something that I would actually use. I'm not sure, though, who would both want this particular knife and also would have something I'd want. Again, I'd also feel somewhat bad for trading the knife.

3. Keep the knife, but since I wouldn't have use for a serrated knife, I'd sharpen the serrations out. It would probably end up being a decent petty in that case. The problem is that I'd have to take ~3 mm of steel off of the knife to do so. I'd also feel the least bad about doing this.

Here are some pictures below:

If you sold the knife, you will probably earn enough to buy a better petty than you could make out of it. So unless you have a fetish for major grinding and steel removal, I'd do that.

But if you do decide to rehabilitate it, do a WIP on the project.

Another vote to sell it, or you can re-gift it if you wont feel ashamed.

If I'm not mistaken, the Shun Hiro is exclusive to Williams-Sonoma, and they have an excellent return policy. So, if it is unused, I'd suggest trying to return it to Williams-Sonoma for credit, or for a knife you will use. If not, sell it, as you will not have an easy time removing the serrations (the core steel is SG2), thinning the blade after you've done so, and etching the damascus to finish up.

Rick

Oh, BTW, welcome to KKF!
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Sell it on eBay if you can't get a credit or refund at Williams-Sonoma. Is there a magical machine that can automatically sharpen those serrateds?

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I guess I'll give Williams and Sonoma a call to see if they will accept it since I don't have a receipt.

Looks like it would be one helluva bagel knife.

Honestly, I'd just keep it and use it. I don't think those serrations would really damage my uses for petty knives, and it's a pretty (if busy) knife.

I'm with Edipis. Keep it for bagels and for making bread bowls in the winter (if you're into that sort of thing). Then, with a budget independent of this knife's cost and zero guilt, buy what you really want!

If you want to try returning do not use it.I've sharpened some pretty strange profiles on Shuns.Not one of these yet tho it looks like you could sharpen it on a whetstone,would not try to grind it down you could mess up the damascus among other things.As mentioned you might find it a useful blade.