Quantcast
What to do with gifted Shun - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What to do with gifted Shun

Quote Originally Posted by easy13 View Post
    C'mon man, I highly doubt that.

Shuns, especially the newer lines can be overpriced, come in odd designs and are obviously not the greatest brand. I do have a classic 10 inch from when I was in school years ago (a great step up from the school issued Mercer) that did chip when I clumsily broke down a chicken with it, but I fixed it, used it til I moved on to more serious blades and it still sits in the bottom of my drawer and comes out occasionally as a beater or for a friend/employee to use, and it works fine and keeps a decent edge. I would return it for a Shun that you would use sometimes, I dont think that would offend your pops.
    Nope, it is pretty true. I just re-beveled it about three weeks ago (I got a Shapton 2K in the mail and wanted to try it out) and finished it on 0.5 micron diamond paste. I made a salad with romaine lettuce, red onion, tomato, strawberries, and a sherry vinaigrette. The edge was smooth when I started. When I finished the edge had small nicks.

Making the same salad with an HD2 Konosuke with a lower angle on it leaves me with an edge that is only slightly less sharp than I started.

This isn't the first time this has happened to it either. I've become accustomed to having a slightly chippy edge on that Shun regardless of what I do to it. It does, however, make it a fantastic tomato cutting knife. It's not like it's a big issue (e.g. 1 mm or greater sized chips) or that the edge becomes serrated--there just are a good number of small nicks in the edge. It happens regardless of the type of edge I put on it (toothy or polished) or even if I use diamond abrasives all the way to 3 microns or I use waterstones. That is what is going to happen to it. It still cuts well and performs just fine. Like I said, it's not a bad knife by any means.

re-gift it to a friend or family, pay it forward

I keep hearing about this chippy stuff, I have a friend who keeps around a shun classic chef for all of his heavy work. Lops off salmon heads and stuff like that, basically just hard work and the edge is fine, I think there are lemons out there with shuns possibly? I have never used one personally, but I think if you can get a good deal on one they aren't too bad. I would personally keep the knife posted, looks a decent sandwich knife, I have a small offset wusthof serrated that doesn't come to work anymore, but sometimes I wish I had it on me when my Mac bread knife feels unecessary. Would be nice for slicing breaded and deep fried items.

Shun, Shun, Shun, Shun, Sun. Shun is what got me here. Iv'e recently retooled my kit (pics coming shortly), and I've have three Shun's for sale. I would like to sell them there but I probably won't. Hopefully I can sell them to a fellow student who thinks that they are are the rave, at 25% of what I paid because I have a conscience. Are they chippy? Seems to depend on who you talk to. Do they give you horrible feedback on a stone? Yes in my opinion. Are they the most ugly, ungrateful, spoiled pieces of **** after that faux damascus and label fade? Yes. Are they totally functional after you sharpen them? Yes.

I like the decoy idea, just make sure it looks new at all times. If goods are needed, take it back to WS and say you needed an All Clad pan more, but you really appreciate their gift.

Not faux damascus, just as real as any other "damascus" cladding.
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Maybe it is just language but isn't all Damascus cladding somewhat just surface decoration?Not like an Antique Katana that under soft light you can see many folds.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Maybe it is just language but isn't all Damascus cladding somewhat just surface decoration?Not like an Antique Katana that under soft light you can see many folds.

Yes
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by Cynic2701 View Post
    The edge was smooth when I started. When I finished the edge had small nicks.
    I'd bet $10 that the knife had a wire edge, or you hadn't removed enough fatigued steel (especially if you often use a honing rod) when you sharpened. Or both.

i have a wusthof serrated petty and i like it alot. it was like $30 though. how much is that shun retail?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i have a wusthof serrated petty and i like it alot. it was like $30 though. how much is that shun retail?
    add $200.