Quantcast
Oyster/Shucking knife
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oyster/Shucking knife

Question Oyster/Shucking knife

Yo!

Any one have a site where I can get the a knife that is a bit more special than the norm and about $75.

Cheers.

Wusthof has one in that price range, the rest I have seen have been well above/below the $75.00 mark.

only dish

Check out Blood Root blades. I believe the price is higher than $75, but they sure do look cool.

What style are you looking for?
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

i shuck hundreds of oyster per day, the place im working has 16 varieties on hand at a time. and i reccomend a long thin but strong shuck not one of those wide flat ones. you can disconnect them much faster with the long shucks

^what he said.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

hey jai, what's a good brand for pro use then?

Jai what are some of the types you shuck?I like the New Zeland oysters,they are small & sweet.Any particular brand of your favorite shucker?

I did a oyster knife study and review a few years ago. I got my hands on every knife I could find, Commercial, custom and vintage antique. I can say all the commercial knives now made are worse then ever! The good old dexters switch to some odd type of Metal that's week as hell breaks into grainy pieces, I don't think it's even steel?

I like the old iron ones you can find on ebay. The are all mostly hand made by men who opened oysters all day every day, So it's no surprise they work well and vintage tools are always kind of cool to use, At Least I think so.

By far the best oyster knife I tested and would highly recommend (though over $75, almost 200.00) is the ones made by Bob Cummings. I can never keep the rules here straight in my head so I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link but Arizona custom knife usually will have some and Bob is. Easy enough to get in touch with and very easy to work with, good turn around time as well. Is design is very effective, it's great in the hand and is not as likely as some designs to give yourself stigmata if you slip. I've been using one for years now, Opened tens of thousands of oysters with it, hell when i ran "Louies Oyster Bar" in port washington ( those that know the place know what a monster it is), we would go threw 2-3k of oysters a day just for happy hour. the knife has never chipped, still looks almost new.

I don't have a site, but you should look at the victorinox 4" boston style, that's a good working one that I keep in my kit for lending out, so I'd buy something that's blade looks like that one. I use a Roger Orfevre that is very similar, but has a nice wooden handle with brass rivets and bolster, not sure where you would fine one. I just scoured amazon and couldn't find it, but there was a poster with it on it next to some oysters, very strange. I got mine at E. Dehillerin. There are some decent looking ones, but nothing 'fancy' on amazon, and honestly, any fancy ones I see are in the wide blade hand guard style, which trust me, you don't want no matter how cool they look, I've never encountered an oyster that I would use one of those on, and I've shucked my share.