Quantcast
Where we go from here.....
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where we go from here.....

Where we go from here.....

As most of you likely know we spent the last 4 months homeless and down for business. Being without income for all this time has put a serious hurting on us that'll take some time to make right. It's been tough the last 4 months and it will continue to be tough as long as I have a backlog of paid for work on the books - this has to change. The very worst thing I've done since starting my business was taking pre-payment for knife orders, it's been keeping me up at night worrying and stressing over how to catch up. I've wrestled with how to tackle my backlog of paid for work while not screwing over anybody and yet still eating and paying rent at the same time, I've come up with the following....

I will start making Martell knives that are on order (and paid for) yet I'll also make Martell knives (maybe every other) that I'll offer for sale. I realize that this will likely (rightfully so) piss off some of you who have been waiting a very long time for your knives that you've paid for but I truly believe this is the only alternative I have for staying in business and getting you all your knives. If it helps any, please know that you'll have paid a lot less than current pricing and the quality you'll get in your knife will be much higher than it would have been if done way back when you first ordered as I get better and better with each knife I grind. Still though, I realize that this is a crappy thing to do to those of you who have been waiting patiently for so long. If I could have just a little more patience from you I promise to deliver and make things right.

Martell knives will have priority but I will also do some western rehandle work when it's possible to double up on the steps in the process like cutting, mounting, and shaping along with Martell knives. Many of you also have paid for western rehandle coupons that will be honored but again I may have to do some rehandles to generate cash flow.

For sharpening work, I am once again open for business. I have always turned over sharpening work quickly and will continue to do so. I try to devote time everyday to the sharpening side of the business. Please see JapaneseKnifeSharpening.com for details.

Also, just to note (again), our stone sales store is open for business, see JapaneseKnifeSharpeningStore.com

I have so many plans for the future for our business but it's very clear that I need to get this backlog in check first, nothing can move forward until this is done. I hope that those of you who are affected by my plan of attack can understand why I chose to do things this way, regardless, I'm very sorry for the long wait and now for this direction I have to go.

For those of you who have been emailing and PM'ing me over the last month or so regarding work inquiries and haven't got a response I will be getting back to you very soon.

Regards,
    Dave

And this is different than any other custom maker how....?

You worry too much.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

It is actually quite nice that you worry so much, but then again, better you have your order books full instead of empty!

Hey, we all know this business and we're all used to waiting for the things we want, so don't worry too much as this won't make you any faster or feel better.

I know exactly how you feel. I am sure, people will support you with whatever you choose to do, and if some bow out, that will be their loss. I gotta bug you about a few things also but will try to keep it easy...

Stefan

Your forthrightness, honesty and integrity are greatly appreciated.

business

Hi Dave,

I am sure things will work out for the business. People will buy and wait for quality. Glad to see you're settling in to the new place and the website is back up.

Hopefully will be packing up a few knives for sharpening and sending your way shortly.

Steve

+1 what larrybard said

Quote Originally Posted by KimBronnum View Post
    +1 what larrybard said
    +2

Just good to see you up and at em, Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing the beautiful work you put out.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Looking forward to seeing some of your new work and how your knives have evolved.

P.S. sent you a pm about one of my knives that needs work