Thanks, thank you guys very much

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocho

Reaction score
HI, I'm learning to home cook.
Been lurking here for a while and learned a lot about sharpening, knives qualities and discovered a new hobby in Wa handles.

Last year I bought a set of kitchen knives at Target (Henkel Premio) and I was happy because of the sharpness ( ignorance is a bliss) then, after a couple of weeks they weren't sharp no mater how much steeling I did with the rod included in the set ( was convinced that the steel is for sharpening) so researching the web come to found KKF.

My journey starts with sharpening and end up in madness:
1- Bought a King deluxe 1200: was satisfy with the edge but the retention made me investigate further
2- Stropping with white compound: polishing and deburring, better but after reading you guys wanted more
3- Carbonext: oh men! what I been missing! how people cook with normal knives?
also a new stone: rika 5000
4- Forgecraft: reading about high carbon steel wanted to try patina and check by myself edge retention on carbon steel, also those rehandle looks cool...
5- Making some Wa handles (coping from your pictures, never in my life had one of those in my hands)
6- Converting a Henkel from Yo with bolster to WA.

:biggrin: from point 3 to 6 in less than a month.... , So: thank you for hooking me in a new addiction.

Bryan, Only a little OCD :wink:

Please forgive my grammar, or the lack off, english is not my first language....
How I may insert attachments? ( Pictures)

7- spending 800 $ on knives next month
8- spending another 500 $ on stones

Welcome! Definitely share the Henkel conversion.

I didn't do anything special, just followed posts and pictures from people more experienced and pros in this forum.

After testing the carbonext I realized that those henkel didn't have a future with me, though I liked the slicer to skin fish fillets but was too heavy....
At first started grinding the handle but didn't like it, so decided try for wa conversion ( If I mess up : no big loss).
Big surprise when ply open the scales
20130815_0942211_zps41158fa4.jpg.html

That wasn't in my plan :scared4::scared4:

but found the solution :spiteful:

20130815_0947261_zpsea845985.jpg.html

After welding

20130816_1238011_zpsa95f48c6.jpg.html

After cutting the bolster

20130817_1217491_zpscd7f8072.jpg.html

After file and sand paper

P1100695_zps46ec27ba.jpg.html

In good company

P1100705_zps114d0b44.jpg.html

Good night, Bryan

:ntmy: Aloha Brother, welcome to the rabbit hole. Grab your debit card and hold on tight!:evilgrin:

Thank you all for the warm welcoming.
Was trying to post pictures, but I do not have the permission? to attach them...
neither from my computer or from photobucket.
Did I miss something?

Bryan

Bryan, I think we have to reach 50 posts and been registered for at least a month.

Back