The making of a chef's knife - Jim Arbuckle's technique (PIC Heavy!!)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielomalley

Reaction score
I've asked a few of the makers that we work with to show their techniques of making chef's knives. Below, Jim Arbuckle shows his technique with a knife we've just posted:
http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91648
Jim and I went to the ABS school together in the early 90s and have been fast friends since we first met. He is one of the most genuine folks that I have ever had the opportunity to know. Jim makes a fantastic chef’s knife.

Since the forum seems to be only allowing me to add 10 photos at a time, this'll be broken up into several messages. I’ll be adding the next segment in the next day or so.

1. Select a sheet of steel of the appropriate thickness and type.
View attachment 18348
2. Pick out a design for the knife or knives. Do I use a pattern I’ve done before or do I start fresh.
View attachment 18349
3. Chef’s knife pattern traced on the steel (try to keep the tip of the knife away from the end of the sheet; this reduces the chance getting inclusions in the blade).
View attachment 18350
4. Try to maximize use of steel.
View attachment 18351
5. Knife blanks are cut out of sheet utilizing a metal cutting band saw. Cuts are usually almost straight due to the blade width.
View attachment 18352
6. Here is the Chef’s knife blank after cutting with the band saw.
View attachment 18353
7. Next, it goes to the grinder and a 60 grit belt to profile the blank. (Shown in the foreground is my Burr King and in the back you can see the KMG grinder.)
View attachment 18354
8. Here is the blank after is has been profiled. Some of the mill scale and imperfections removed from the flats. Note finger grove is left rough.
View attachment 18355
9. Using a flat surface (bandsaw table), a tungsten carbide tipped scribe and a small machinists’ vise, I mark the center.
View attachment 18356
10. Position the tip of the scribe close to the center of the edge.
View attachment 18357

deleted (couldn't get it to add in the iamges in line)

Arbuckle_19.jpg

Just posted my Arbuckle in newest knife buys. Excellent finish, check the filing on the spine. Your friend Jim did a great job on this one Dan . The blank looks very familiar :)

Work in progress posts are my favorite. Keep them up!

I like the scribe clamped in the vise. I ground an old file to a point and stack tape or bus. cards under it to raise and lower. I like this better. And, that Maple Burl is CRAZY!!! Thanks. -M

Back