My first saya

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
Made my first saya today, made of rosewood. Friction fit, a bit tight, and not the best finish but turned out OK. Guess I will have to take on the effort of finally thinning the knife (my mum is using it now :p)

The knife is a hiromoto santoku 180mm.

just finished
IMG_1001.JPG

mineral oil
IMG_1002.JPG

done
IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

Good job. I have been toying witth the idea of trying to make one. The one I got with my Konosuke HD2 is loose and allowsth knife to shift around too much for my comfort.

The grain really pops after you finished it. Looks great.

now the 2nd attempt. was using some other timber, but found a big void after preparing it :(

_1050284.jpg

_1050286-2.jpg

_1050279.jpg

I like the bright colors of your finishing :doublethumbsup:

Bryan

Looks great!

btw, I purposely make them tight, and then go back with a file, to ensure a nice tight fitment.

Looks great!

btw, I purposely make them tight, and then go back with a file, to ensure a nice tight fitment.

Thanks for the tip No Chop!
I was making one today, using a rasp to do the final clean up, and I overdid it :( will use file instead.

Very nice sayas, wished I have your woodworking skill.

very cool. the grain pattern/location is elegant. curious to know if you planned it out that way.
i dig it. well done
tks, for the grain, it just happen that the timber i decided to use has really nice pattern. I didn't choose the good bits. :p

Here is another one, for shig santoku, timber is called flame Mackay cedar, native to Queensland, AU. I double it is a true ceder but quite soft like ceder. Horrible stuff in terms of irritation, had to use air-sheild mask when cutting it up :(
IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

this is the flame
181926d1316213936-flame-mackay-cedar-you-wont-see-better-005.jpg

so here is my latest attempt :)
Saya made of curly tasmania blackwood, gidgee pin

DSCF4538.jpg

DSCF4540.jpg

DSCF4543.jpg

Looks a bit snug but the finish looks great

Gorgeous work!
Where are you getting your timber from James?

if you don't mind me asking... :thumbsup:

Gorgeous work!
Where are you getting your timber from James?

if you don't mind me asking... :thumbsup:

i am a woodworker, and i usually get these timber from fellow woodworkers :)

Back