Quantcast
Northern Chinese cuisine cookbook?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Northern Chinese cuisine cookbook?

Northern Chinese cuisine cookbook?

I have a few Chinese cookbooks I got from Amazon, and all of them are on Southern Chinese/Cantonese cuisine. Which me, as a born northerner, do not like. At all. Can anyone recommend a legitimate cookbook for northern Chinese cuisine?

My wife is a Beijinger, and I would also love to find something in English for northern cuisine... but so far no such luck. She just looks for stuff on Youtube. She does her searches typing in Chinese. Lots of videos, apparently.

I'm Cantonese myself so I have to disagree about southern food being no good
    Len

try Florence Lin's Complete Book of Chinese Noodles, Dumplings, and Breads. A fair amount of this is Northern Chinese. It may be oop but well worth some of the recipes that will remind you of your dear mother...

Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    I have a few Chinese cookbooks I got from Amazon, and all of them are on Southern Chinese/Cantonese cuisine. Which me, as a born northerner, do not like. At all. Can anyone recommend a legitimate cookbook for northern Chinese cuisine?
    As a southerner I find your remark offensive.

Dunno if this helps, but there is one for sale on Amazon called the Northern Chinese Cookbook. I would also maybe look at a title called Northern Chinese Favorites and Pei Mei's Chinese cookbook.

+ Reply to Thread