Knife Boxes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docjavadude

Reaction score
I never want to be featured on the television show "Hoarders." At the same time, I have never been able to part with the beautiful boxes that my knives come in. Most of them are are just cardboard, but I haven't been able to put them in the recycle bin. The Japanese lettering is beautiful and I might "need" the box someday, right? So fess up folks: Do you save the boxes your knives come in? Is there any rational, non-aesthetic reason for keeping them?

You have to put them in something nice when you resell them:D

I save my boxes as well. Find it is good to ship them in them.

I guess I keep them. I dunno...actually, a lot of my knives didn't come in boxes, but those that did, I have mostly kept around. I'm sure I've used some for knives that didn't come in a box as well; So, there's another reason to keep them - you might need to store a different knife in a box sometime down the road.

Thanks for the welcome, BTW. Lots of great information and some pretty good entertainment in the forums... :)

I used to keep my boxes but after getting an entire shelf packed with them I gave up and threw them out except for the nice wooden ones.

I keep the boxes not as bulky as some of the other product boxes I have

I am an absolute minimalist in most all things. But I keep my boxes.

I don't have as many boxes as most of the people here, but so far I keep them.

yeah, it just feels wrong to get rid of them, same situation with stones and their boxes...

come to think of it, i have trouble throwing away the JKI wrapping paper :dontknow:

I also keep all my boxes. I do have a question for everyone who keeps a lot of boxes-how do you keep track of which knife goes with which box when the knives are being uses or in the knife rack?

I use blue painters tape on the boxes to mark the box.

However, I'm thinking of getting rid of my boxes. The wife opened the cabinet full of boxes, and she too quickly discerned how many knives I had stashed away.

I keep the boxes, but so far I do not have too many. Once it reaches the critical mass, some will go away - the space is limited.

I have quite a few so far, managed to find a cupboard specially for it.

I do think there is definitely an aesthetic value, not just utilitarian "I may need this someday" purpose for the boxes. It's almost as if the knife and the box share some intrinsic connection. I would not want to put a knife in the wrong box, for example. I keep my boxes in a rubbermaid container in the storage room to keep them together. I might need therapy for this... but from the responses on the forum at least I'm in good company! :)

Yup, knife boxes keep, stone boxes trash (rocks don't need no boxes, just a bucket):D

I started with a box for knife boxes and stone boxes. It has grown to a a box of knife boxes and a box of stone boxes. (+1 on blue painters tape to id them.) Also have a wet box, a poly food tray to keep soaker stoness in and a dry box for the polishing and non-soakers. And a box of diamond plates and holders. Then there's the box for the growing collection of strops and strop "stuff". And a 4 qt cambro, a box of sorts, for sayas and knife guards. And lest I forget, theres a box of blocks, scales and other handle "stuff" - noteworthy only because I've never made a handle but am part of both Mark's and Myron's frequent flyer programs. Finally there is the box under the sink with BK, mega sharpies, corks, acetone a "magic" eraser and mineral oil and an ever present box of band-aids. I used to have a box of money but seem to have misplaced it... .

Back