Quantcast
Angle finder app
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angle finder app

Angle finder app

Found this helpful for a sharpening noob like myself. was going to buy an angle cube until I realized my phone could do it for me. Apparently there are both free apps for Android and iPhone. Much easier than using coins or doing math.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...MeterV10&hl=en

How do you use it on the knife?

Just lay the side edge of the phone against the knife to get your sharpening angle. Can't sharpen with the phone on the knife, unless you somehow create a magnetic jig or something. Prior to using this, I was just eyeballing my angle and had a hard time "feeling" 5 degree increments.

Pretty cool trick, I downloaded one for BlackBerry 10 - its called Tilt Meter Free (if anybody interested) and it showed that my eyeballing is about 2 degree off on average.

Cool app, and I'm not making fun, I promise. But, why do I not give a crapolla about the angles I sharpen at?

How's that for ending my sentence with a preposition? Winston Churchill would be proud!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Cool app, and I'm not making fun, I promise. But, why do I not give a crapolla about the angles I sharpen at?
    Cause you're a lefty?

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    Cause you're a lefty?
    +1
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

I cut various wedges off wine corks to use under the blades to show my neighbor his sharpening angles. Works well with angle devices.

If I concerned myself with angles I would be more apt to use a protractor than the gyroscope inside the iPhone, I wouldn't trust that it's as accurate.