Quantcast
Paring knife suggestions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paring knife suggestions

Paring knife suggestions

Hey folks, my cheap paring knife finally gave in so I've got an excuse to pick up a new one I'd prefer another 3-4in knife but you could talk me into a petty if the knife is better!

KNIFE TYPE
    -Paring/petty
    -Right handed
    -I prefer Japanese handles
    -3-5 inches
    -I don't require a stainless knife
    -Keep it under $120, the cheaper the better

KNIFE USE
    -Home use
    -Hand work (strawberries, apple cores, etc.)
    -Sort of replacing a Kyocera 3 inch ceramic
    -"Cutting towards the thumb" (I don't know if there's a name for that)

As far as improvements, something that I can actually sharpen will be such a relief over the ceramic.

I live with a bunch of college guys and I've found my "flashier" knives get more respect (or people are just afraid to use them), so I certainly wouldn't mind a really different or flashy knife. That's no deal breaker though.

I'm somewhat new to knife sharpening (I've sharpened straight razors for a while), but I'm still getting used to the curved blade so I suppose ease of sharpening would be mildly desirable. Similarly, I need to practice, so edge retention isn't a huge concern to me (within reason!)

Thanks so much for everyone's time!

Best parer I have used is a Ealy. See if you can find one of those from a fellow member they are the best IMHO

Tojiro DP Cheap and vg10 steel

Will it be used for peeling as well?

There are lots of cool fancy paring knives out there… and there are some that are dirt cheap and and comfortable like Victorinox Bird's Beak. Probably not the recommendation you were expected to hear, but a great knife anyway. For in hand work 2" blade is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    There are lots of cool fancy paring knives out there… and there are some that are dirt cheap and and comfortable like Victorinox Bird's Beak. Probably not the recommendation you were expected to hear, but a great knife anyway. For in hand work 2" blade is just right.
    I agree, it's what I use.

My most used parers are Ealy, HHH and Shun Classic - yes I said Shun get over it. (Probably the best knife in their whole line - )

I love the couple of Ealys I have, as well as my HHH. I have a Tojiro DP that still gets screaming sharp as well.

Misono fruit knife is what I use and I love it. Very comfy and stays sharp forever. $24.50 at korin

Whatever you do, DON'T get the Wusthof Ikon or Grand Prix sheepsfoot paring knife.they look nice and unique but once you've started using a 90-120mm petty, you soon begin to see their apparent limitations in function.