Quantcast
My Masamoto KS from Rakuten - Your opinion?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Masamoto KS from Rakuten - Your opinion?

My Masamoto KS from Rakuten - Your opinion?

Hi,

I bought a Masamoto KS on Rakuten during spring. I'm new to japanese knives - it's definitly much better than any knife I've used before, but I can't figure if it's a good sample of Masamoto knives.

I'd like to have your opinion - here a a few pictures:

Heel picture #1

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/utkh.jpg

Heel picture #2

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/84mn.jpg

Tip of the knife (viewed from the spine)
    A note about this picture: The tip of this knife was broken (1mm-2mm), so I had to fix it by removing some steel from the spine - though I haven't yet thinned it yet, so I guess it could be better.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/j23w.jpg

Please, share your opinion - is this Masamoto not that bad? How much thinning would it need?

Thanks!

Bef

Sorry, there are some issues with the images in my previous post. So here we go:

Heel picture #1

Heel picture #2

Tip of the knife (viewed from the spine)
    A note about this picture: The tip of this knife was broken (1mm-2mm), so I had to fix it by removing some steel from the spine - though I haven't yet thinned it yet, so I guess it could be better.

Geometry looks mediocre to me, very much like the KS in this thread:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...knife-nowadays

How did it break? During shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    How did it break? During shipping?
    No, I think that it was broken when someone here stored it in a slot of my knives block that wasn't deep enough, so the tip of the knife hit our countertop.

This is a choil shot of a 240mm KS that I picked up off Rakuten maybe 2 weeks ago. It was a great cutter right out
    of the box. Have yet to to take it to the stones. $225 delivered. I would not have bought it if I had to pay retail.

That one is certainly not super thin near the edge but doesn't look bad. Keep in mind that it could thicken up or thin out as you move along the length of the knife. The choil shot isn't always representative of the overall geometry of the knife.

Thanks for those who replied.

So basically, what would be the best option to optimize my Masamoto? Thinning near the edge, 1"?

Or do I need to have my knife reprofiled or modified in some drastic way?

I could be comfortable thinning near the edge, but wouldn't be confident to go further myself, so I would need to look for a professional sharpener if I need to do more than that...

Quote Originally Posted by Bef View Post
    Thanks for those who replied.

So basically, what would be the best option to optimize my Masamoto? Thinning near the edge, 1"?

Or do I need to have my knife reprofiled or modified in some drastic way?

I could be comfortable thinning near the edge, but wouldn't be confident to go further myself, so I would need to look for a professional sharpener if I need to do more than that...
    you should probably use your ks some and decide for yourself what it is you want from the knife. A stronger overall blade? or a thinner more delicate edge. Ideally the KS should have nice spine taper from heel to tip. infact, i think theyre pretty well known for having thin pointy tips.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    you should probably use your ks some and decide for yourself what it is you want from the knife. A stronger overall blade? or a thinner more delicate edge. Ideally the KS should have nice spine taper from heel to tip. infact, i think theyre pretty well known for having thin pointy tips.
    +1. If you like it, use it as is. If you don't like it, try thinning near the edge. If that isn't working out, send it.