Quantcast
My Masamoto KS from Rakuten - Your opinion? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Masamoto KS from Rakuten - Your opinion?

I have to agree with Michael, if the edge out of box was good then you just need to work on your sharpening technique. This is a very easy knife to sharpen, but you could lose a bit of height while learning. Agree as well that it could probably use some thinning. I thinned mine enough to make me happy, what makes you happy is up to you to decide. I would suggest sending it to a professional and let them thin it for you and also give you a good idea of what you should be shooting for in the future...again, as this knife is not very tall I may recommend experimenting with something older or less expensive but that is your decision. I've had personal experience with Jon's edges and they are awesome; I believe you could also send your knives to either Dave M or Korin and get equally excellent results.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Are you talking about bahamaroot's or bef's in this post? Bahamaroot's blade looked pretty good to me, but if that is the one you're talking about, I probably just need more experience looking at the geometry of blades.
    Bef's blade. And yes, Bef, you need to learn how to sharpen before you try messing with your blade geometry. Those knives are very easy to sharpen.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier... Been *very* busy in the last few months and forgot that thread.

I appreciate all the feedback I got from everyone. I understand that the issue is most likely a sharpening issue, not a knife issue, even though that Masamoto profile wouldn't be very good.

My issue is mostly with the tip. So far, I've been using Jon's Youtube video on sharpening tips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmBTO0cA_qw) to understand how to do it, but it looks like I'm not able to have any good results with that technique. There's something that I'm not doing correctly...

I'm getting better at sharpening the rest of the edge. I've been learning sharpening watching Dave Martell's DVDs, and Jon's videos. I also read a lot of topics on KKF regarding tip sharpening. And I'm using Dave's core set of stones.

So anyway, regarding my knife tip sharpening issues, I tried the "regular" technique (similar to sharpening the rest of the knife edge), and I got much better results. I understand however that I might end up with some issues with the knife tip profile if I keep using that technique instead of jon's way...

I'm also going to send that knife to Marko for a rehandle and blade refinish job (and I've ordered a Marko gyuto, a Marko cutting board, strop kit at the same time...)

Don't get discouraged with it Bef. I had my problems and then "ah ha" moments when you get it. Just takes lots of practice.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

experience is the best teacher with sharpening. try, fail, try again.

Have someone video you sharpening and post it, im sure you will get som nice feedback on how to improve.
    "If you are flamable and have legs you are never blocking a fire exit."

don't feel bad, the tip is where most people have problems when sharpening.

Like others said, once you get it you get it. It'll be a eureka moment, just keep practicing.

I also have a ks gyuto from rakuten. It's a good knife, but not as amazing as all the forum hype surrounding it. Of course anything is hard to live up to all its hype.

I actually use my yoshihiro stainless gyuto more at work than konosuke hd or masamoto ks, or the sold misono ux10.

Just wanted to report that my sharpening technique is getting better...

That being said, I have shipped my Masamoto KS to Marko to have the blade refinished, and to rehandle the knife with an ebony D handle with silver spacer.

I'll try to post some pictures of the knife once it will be refinished.

Bef, I remember this thread, please do update us when you get it back, I can only imagine how nice it will be. It's been awhile since this thread started how confident do you feel in your sharpening now? Have you just been sharpening the KS or have you been using something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Slypig5000 View Post
    Bef, I remember this thread, please do update us when you get it back, I can only imagine how nice it will be. It's been awhile since this thread started how confident do you feel in your sharpening now? Have you just been sharpening the KS or have you been using something else?
    I do get much better than I was. Especially with the knife tip, which I was not able to sharpen properly previously.

I'm also sharpening a Carbonext petty and an Ealy parer. I need some practice with the petty, though - I find it much more difficult to sharpen this knife than the gyuto and parer...

I will update this thread once my knife comes back.

+ Reply to Thread