Murray Carter vs cktg!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglerock

Reaction score
Carter Cutlery has been using the phrase 'Stay Sharp' since August, 2007.
Chef Knives To Go produced this T-Shirt on April 27th, 2013.

What does everyone think of Chef Knives To Go T-Shirt design?

253301_10151601563164246_1793218315_n.jpg

I don't.

Murray should trademark "Stay sharp."

He's been using it since 2007 but has he registered it as a trademark? A quick Google search of the phrase brings up various enterprises using the phrase and there are even cutlery and cutlery-related products bearing the name. I really don't think Murray or CKTG have any claim here.

He's been using it since 2007 but has he registered it as a trademark? A quick Google search of the phrase brings up various enterprises using the phrase and there are even cutlery and cutlery-related products bearing the name. I really don't think Murray or CKTG have any claim here.

I don't know if he has or not. That's why I wrote "should trademark"; if he had already trademarked it, he could enforce it.

Nonetheless, if Murray can establish that he used it before CKTG (definitely) or any other company that used it after he started, he could still attempt to register the trademark as long as no one else has and if he's the first to have used it in connection with cutlery or cutlery-related products.

And, on the other hand, if someone else or another company in cutlery or a cutlery-related business has trademarked that phrase, well, CKTG could be in violation of a registered trademark.

I like the shirts. I like Murray.

A quick search shows that there is a live trademark for "StaySharp" with the USPTO, relating to "Kitchen knives; hand-operated sharpening tools and instruments..." owned by: "McPherson's Limited COMPANY AUSTRALIA 5 Dunlop Road Mulgrave, Victoria AUSTRALIA 3170"

Oh yeah - Shigeki is rocking it!

I can't say anything in the picture moves me at all. :dontknow:

Not a big fan of Mark after reading some of the stories about him and would steer clear of his knives. I've heard him use that in his youtube videos, where he credits Murray as his teacher. If I'm Murray though, not sure I like him putting it on a t-shirt. Maybe he had his verbal permission?

I think he should have ******** t-shirts made instead..
Just pure black on black and sell it for $250.
Only people who have a keen eye should be able to distinguish them from $5 fruit of the loom black t-shirt...:justkidding:

Marks been selling Murrays knives for a long time now, theyre probably BFFs. I doubt theres any hard feelings
I wouldn't be so sure. There's often a love-hate relationship between producers and big retailers. On one hand, big retailers can write you a big check and reach lots of people. On the other, they have the buying power to pressure producers into doing things they don't want to do. I'm not saying this is one of those cases but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Murray should just refuse to disclose the contents of his favorite sayings, that way his intellectual property will not be stolen.

I started signing a book I wrote "Stay Sharp" in 97. Given Murray has a copy, maybe he picked up from me? This all seems like making trouble for the sole purpose of making trouble.

Looks like hedge shears to me...and I know he stole it from someone...

I have been mostly impressed with the QPR of Richmond knives. Those I've handled have nice balance and taper, are low maintenance and comfortable. The combination of efficient American manufacturing, high-tech German steel and traditional Japanese style are a positive presence in the market; not that any of those qualities are necessarily superior to others.
I can easily understand why they appeal to professional cooks and hobbyists alike.

I have been mostly impressed with the QPR of Richmond knives. Those I've handled have nice balance and taper, are low maintenance and comfortable. The combination of efficient American manufacturing, high-tech German steel and traditional Japanese style are a positive presence in the market; not that any of those qualities are necessarily superior to others.
I can easily understand why they appeal to professional cooks and hobbyists alike.

What does "QPR" stand for?

You clearly know your stuff.

Back