Quantcast
Anyone (Germans?) heard of / use knives by Hohenmoorer Messermanufaktur?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone (Germans?) heard of / use knives by Hohenmoorer Messermanufaktur?

Anyone (Germans?) heard of / use knives by Hohenmoorer Messermanufaktur?

Weird looking knifes, I have no idea of the performance / function, but I like the aesthetic.
    Looks like a genetic byproduct of Kramer and Masamoto in blade shape, but with some definite Carter-esque rustic charm sprinkled in and the "coffin" handles remind me of some of the retro / wa fusion ideas that were kicked around for the Pierre/Lefty/Lamnson collaboration. And he's German and wears a cool vest. Anyone have more info on him? Used one of this knives?

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hohen...04188866288634

Retail site:
    http://www.messerkontor.eu/KOCHMESSE...r:::3_942.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	291666_523630477677806_1106706507_o.jpg‎
Views:	30
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	14628  
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Cool logo, love the size of the cutting board in the last picture and those weird blue spots near the tang on some of the knives. Wonder what they are. I don't see Masamoto influence in this knife.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

i havent tried one of his knives yet, but uli hennicke is a reputable forger and also moderator in the german knife forums.

The blue marks are temper colours from softening the tangs post heat treat. I've tried to keep them before but not managed to keep it looking good, ends up being scratched an messy and then patina takes over

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    The blue marks are temper colours from softening the tangs post heat treat. I've tried to keep them before but not managed to keep it looking good, ends up being scratched an messy and then patina takes over
    What's the attraction of it? Is this a new type of "hamon"?

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Now, I want to try one of these! I'm assuming the price is in Euros?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Aesthetically it looks like a peacock feather,

Click image for larger version

Name:	640px-Tempering_colors_in_steel.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	14673

practically softening up to the juncture with the handle will reduce any brittleness reducing the chance of snapping at this point, and makes it easy to drill holes for handle pins.

I don't really believe in differentially treating a kitchen knife, and this falls under the same vein. It looks awesome, but really? I don't often hack a things with my kitchen knives.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

People are an odd bunch though, I sharpened a knife for a relative and they proceeded to "test" the sharpness by seeing how deep it stick into the corner of their chopping board, like it was a comp cutter.

If you're used to seeing big thick bolstered full tang with triple rivets because they're stronger it's probably easier to answer the strength question from customers as "we go through xyz process to ensure strength and resilience" than "actually metal is pretty strong and if you use it how it's intended you don't need to believe the web of lies sold by marketeers over the years".

Post German info

Yeah, I know the Hohenmoorer Knives from a local retailer! The producer is named Uli Hennicke and does also work for Nesmuk Knives (which I own). I just did some research and found out that their knives are available in three different qualities: single steal, 3 layer steal and damast (240 layer steal). As usual with handcrafted damast knives, they are f***ing expensive (maybe one day The weirdest product they offer is surely a set of barbecue tongs and fork for 5000 (!) Euros, which should be around 6000 dollars: http://www.hohenmoorer-shop.de/produ...esteck-damast/ (the site is in German, but the picture speaks probably for itself). The site also has videos of the knives which might be interesting to you Americans as I guess the company does not have a worldwide distribution network (they seem quite small). If someone wants to have one, I would be happy to deliver it to you if you pay for my flight

+ Reply to Thread