wavy edge on old forgecraft

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought some forgecraft knives on ebay and one of them has a "wavy edge" - even visible to the native eye although really obvious with a loupe.

What's the best way to fix this?

My initial idea is to treat it like a very big chippy knive and just grind away at a low grit stone until a new bevel without a wave is there?

But I thought I would ask the experts!

TIA

It was wavy at the actual edge-not chipped but smooth waves.

Actually I did some googling after I posted this on other forums since there was nothing here (apropos of nothing I have found the best way to search KKF is to use "thing you are searching for" site:kitchenknifeforums.com on Google and not the forum search)

ANyway a wavy edge is not uncommon on old razors and the solution they proposed for razors worked great. They called it "bread boarding", you basically hold the knife perpendicular to the stone (a DMT course in my case) and stroke it on the stone from tip to back. It obviously takes the edge completely away but it removed the wavyness instantly and then I worked through a progression of stones and they they are as sharp as stories say old forgecrafts can get

It was wavy at the actual edge-not chipped but smooth waves.

Actually I did some googling after I posted this on other forums since there was nothing here (apropos of nothing I have found the best way to search KKF is to use "thing you are searching for" site:kitchenknifeforums.com on Google and not the forum search)

ANyway a wavy edge is not uncommon on old razors and the solution they proposed for razors worked great. They called it "bread boarding", you basically hold the knife perpendicular to the stone (a DMT course in my case) and stroke it on the stone from tip to back. It obviously takes the edge completely away but it removed the wavyness instantly and then I worked through a progression of stones and they they are as sharp as stories say old forgecrafts can get
That is exactly how you do it.

I diagonally breadboard, but yes.

Isn't it called 'bread knifing'? Anyway, yep that's how you fix vertical waves. But you will be thickening BTE, so I would recommend you thin out the edge a bit after doing the repair.

Yes, it is bread knifing. I read the other and wrote it. I just got off shift, so my brain is only 80% here. Haha

Also, what I meant by diagonal, is more like angled (bread knifing on a 35*, or so angle, so you thin as you fix. That way, when you actually do thin it out, which you will absolutely have to do, there is less metal to remove.

Yes, it is bread knifing. I read the other and wrote it. I just got off shift, so my brain is only 80% here. Haha

Also, what I meant by diagonal, is more like angled (bread knifing on a 35*, or so angle, so you thin as you fix. That way, when you actually do thin it out, which you will absolutely have to do, there is less metal to remove.

I go more diagonal also...kind of changing angles almost to straight.

One thing you also have to keep an eye out for is that if there's a hollow on the edge, there's pretty much going to be a hollow on the flat too. It'll still sharpen, but if you look close you'll often see that your the size of your edge bevel varies along the length to one degree or another. This is indicative of high and low spots in the grind. This isn't always that big a deal...but its something to look out for.

Love to see some before/after pics if possible.

If you're doing parkour while taking pictures, I say GoPro. Otherwise, I like tintype....

Seriously, a manual focus camera is best.

What's teh best gadget to take pictures of an edge, my cell phone certainly won't do the job!

Without knowing exactly what cellphone you have the general answer is cellphones are quite capable for this task. One of the factors that affects depth of field (the apparent area of focus) is sensor size. Cell phones, like point and shoot cameras with their tiny sensors are capable of capturing a huge depth of field even at minimum focus (macro) distance. They are so good at it in fact that one of the disadvantages of small sensors is that it is extremely hard if at all possible to produce an image that has a blurred or unfocused background (technically called bokeh).

What is likely happening with your attempt to capture the edge is a problem of focus. First, make sure that your subject is well secured and you are too. Leaning your body against something or planting your elbows on something solid will help you steady the camera. Second, you could be too close to the edge for your phone to achieve focus. Try taking the shot a little further back. At full resolution (again, depending on your phone) you should be able to crop in quite a bit without sacrificing too much detail. Third, remember that autofocus systems work using contrast. If there isn't enough contrast the AF won't lock where you want it to. You (or someone else) can temporarily hold something like the end of a ballpoint pen or piece of coloured paper at the same level as the edge and pull it away once your camera has locked focus, allowing you to take the shot.

Hope that helps you out a bit.

Back