JNS 300, 800 and red aoto. A winning combo!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkjames

KKF Sponsor
Reaction score
I just want to share my story with JNS stones, and also say a big thank you to Maixm for coming up with such nice stones!

So, here is the old story, I dropped my knife, yes, Shigefusa 180mm deba, only used once! Guess no need to tell you guys how pissed I was.

Luckily, the JNS 300 and JNS 800 arrived last weekend, so I guess this is a good opportunity to find out what is the hype about them!

The pic shows how bad the wound was! Taken after I started.
IMG_1015.JPG

Spent about 30 minutes on the JNS300. Really fast cutting, while not as fast as my iwood 300 diamond plate, it really won't scratch the blade hard, and it is notably faster than the shapton GS 500 that I have. Generates decent amount of mud yet really dish resistant. I only lapped it once touching the oraoshi.

Then the JNS 800 really shines!
lotz of mud, but won't clot up at all. Fast and really removes the scratch patterns from the JNS30. I only needed about 5 minutes before I was happy about the result and moved the JNS red aoto. Not much to say about the red aoto, apart from restating that it is the BEST mid range stone I have used! Hard, even with lots of mud!

So here is the end result.
IMG_1017.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

I can't be bother finishing the deba on a finishing stone because it goes through bond and stuff, and I don't see the need of doing so. The tip is not super pointy, but for less than 1 hr of time, I can't be happier!

I would assume JNS 300 / JNS800 / JNS synthetic aoto would give very similar result, maybe Maxim can consider another set on top of the beginner set?

Thanks for looking :D

Oh, BTW, is the red aoto really a mid-range stone? The deba now shaves my hair nice and clean!

That is a great report, thanks. You did a nice job on that deba. What was actually the reason for the chip? Too thick of a bone, bad luck or too thin of a profile?

Thank you for sharing pkjames !! :) :hungry: And nice work on Deba !!

Looking good. Sorry to hear about the damage, but glad you got her fixed up.

concrete floor, bounced...:curse:

Very nice work indeed and thanks for sharing :goodpost:

Btw. Did you drop it on a stone/tile floor or was a wooden floor sufficient?

Peter

Latest posts

Back