Quantcast
Petty Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Petty Question

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    It's important but not as important. Petties already are going to have decent food release just based on their blade height. I wouldn't worry too much about it and make it on the thinner side.
    x2

X3
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks guys. I got an answer I expected, but it is always good to confirm.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Was thinking about this thread the other day. Doing some canning, and have a petty that went through about 40 lbs of tomatos like lightening. Later I tried to use it to make some thin garlic slices--and I've NEVER had food stick to a knife like that. You could practically hear the vacuum form--you could definitely feel the knife cling to the garlic while cutting. I had to instruct the knife that it was a short little petty and that it should not have a problem with food release. It didn't listen. (Still a great knife, tho! And I'd vote for thinness over food release, too.)
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Was thinking about this thread the other day. Doing some canning, and have a petty that went through about 40 lbs of tomatos like lightening. Later I tried to use it to make some thin garlic slices--and I've NEVER had food stick to a knife like that. You could practically hear the vacuum form--you could definitely feel the knife cling to the garlic while cutting. I had to instruct the knife that it was a short little petty and that it should not have a problem with food release. It didn't listen. (Still a great knife, tho! And I'd vote for thinness over food release, too.)
    I'm not saying it's a perfect solution in all cases but you might try using the very tip for that sort of thing and if it doesn't matter what direction you're cutting, you can cut toward the root and then cut the root off to get your slices.

That would work much better from a sticking standpoint. It was just entertaining--you could practically hear the knife go schlooooRRRRPPP! as it stuck to the garlic. Really strange feeling--there was a noticeable pull on the knife. Whereas for coring, slicing, and cutting nappy bits out of tomatoes, it's hell on wheels.

"schlooooRRRRPPP"??

How big was this garlic clove and was it alive?

Just a normal garlic clove. It was bizarre. None of my other petties have done anything like that--although I only have six, so maybe I need a few more to get some statistical significance...

Yeah, they're just little.

A some point early next year I am going to run a bunch of petties in AEB-L. Will probably throuw in a few parers with a Western handle in the mix.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com