Petty Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
How important is the food release on a petty (135-180mm) knife?

I have found that thicker petties, with good food release ended up wedging too much. Right now I am in the thinner is better camp when it comes to petties. Also, due to less blade height I feel like "sticktion" is less of an issue as there is not that much that can accumulate.
Of course if I can have both, I'll take it.

Nowhere near as important as with a gyuto. I'll choose a laser petty every time

Guess it would depend on what you are cutting.

I tend to like thinner petties, as I use them for small prep work that includes cutting through sweet potatoes, carrots and other root vegetables, so the thinner the better. Food release matters, but not as much as on a gyuto, plus a typical gyuto has more height for food to release.

I wonder where do you use your petties most?

M

in the last few days I've used pettys for cutting up strawberries, a mango, some peaches, medium-sized tomatoes, cheeses and some salami. If I don't have something on the board that requires a regular gyuto I will often reach for one of the pettys. Our collection ranges from laser to hefty.

I prefer thinner utility/petty with Kiritsuke tip. IMO, Food release isn't that important due to short narrow blade...

It's important but not as important. Petties already are going to have decent food release just based on their blade height. I wouldn't worry too much about it and make it on the thinner side.

It's important but not as important. Petties already are going to have decent food release just based on their blade height. I wouldn't worry too much about it and make it on the thinner side.

x2

Thanks guys. I got an answer I expected, but it is always good to confirm.

M

Was thinking about this thread the other day. Doing some canning, and have a petty that went through about 40 lbs of tomatos like lightening. Later I tried to use it to make some thin garlic slices--and I've NEVER had food stick to a knife like that. You could practically hear the vacuum form--you could definitely feel the knife cling to the garlic while cutting. I had to instruct the knife that it was a short little petty and that it should not have a problem with food release. It didn't listen. (Still a great knife, tho! And I'd vote for thinness over food release, too.)

Was thinking about this thread the other day. Doing some canning, and have a petty that went through about 40 lbs of tomatos like lightening. Later I tried to use it to make some thin garlic slices--and I've NEVER had food stick to a knife like that. You could practically hear the vacuum form--you could definitely feel the knife cling to the garlic while cutting. I had to instruct the knife that it was a short little petty and that it should not have a problem with food release. It didn't listen. (Still a great knife, tho! And I'd vote for thinness over food release, too.)
I'm not saying it's a perfect solution in all cases but you might try using the very tip for that sort of thing and if it doesn't matter what direction you're cutting, you can cut toward the root and then cut the root off to get your slices.

That would work much better from a sticking standpoint. It was just entertaining--you could practically hear the knife go schlooooRRRRPPP! as it stuck to the garlic. Really strange feeling--there was a noticeable pull on the knife. Whereas for coring, slicing, and cutting nappy bits out of tomatoes, it's hell on wheels.

"schlooooRRRRPPP"??

How big was this garlic clove and was it alive?:lol2:

Just a normal garlic clove. It was bizarre. None of my other petties have done anything like that--although I only have six, so maybe I need a few more to get some statistical significance... :wink:

A some point early next year I am going to run a bunch of petties in AEB-L. Will probably throuw in a few parers with a Western handle in the mix.

M

Latest posts

Back