Any one use mini diamond plates to prep stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSChief

Reaction score
Came across these little guys, from DMT. they are roughly 2 3/8X1X1/4. It looks like they would be really handy to raise slurry, & light cleaning.
Using a light circular motion, sorta like Mr. Miagi Wax on Wax off
W7EFC.jpg

Just don't let Maxim hear you talk about putting a diamond plate to one of his jnats otherwise he might cut you off. :spankarse:

yeah... it sucks for the surface of naturals... but can be helpful on synthetics. Now days i use a super coarse one (like a 70mm version of the XXC) to scratch up the surface of my synthetic stones... better tactile feedback, faster cutting, and better water retention. The only downside is that the polish wont be quite as nice, but i can always clean up the stone surfaces later, or just use a different stone in my case.

Yes. I use Moonflex Diaface. They're designed for skis.

mine has worn out severely and I like it that way... no more loose bits from the plates and perfect for creating slurry.

IF it is the cheap china made.. I wld season it first by taking 2 plates adn rubbing it against each other a few times . IF you are in polishing mode.....the "contamination" loose bits form the plate will leave visible scratches on the large bevel of the single sided knives.

have fun....
d

mine has worn out severely and I like it that way... no more loose bits from the plates and perfect for creating slurry.

IF it is the cheap china made.. I wld season it first by taking 2 plates adn rubbing it against each other a few times . IF you are in polishing mode.....the "contamination" loose bits form the plate will leave visible scratches on the large bevel of the single sided knives.

have fun....
d

I haven't had any real problem with loose bits of diamond from DMT plates...but yeah, the other brands I've tried drop those little bastages EVERYWHERE, and they scar the flats badly. In my experience the cheaper brands aren't flat anyhow...so its worthwhile to spend a bit of money for something that will last.

Back