Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kochi 150mm Petty

Kochi 150mm Petty

I'm finding it difficult to find much info and especially real user feedback on this knife.

Can anyone who owns, has owned or used this knife give me their impressions on it, heavy detail much appreciated?

And for starters, is the profile relatively flat and in the mini-Gyuto mold, or does it have a lot of belly and an aggressive sweep?

No one? Anyone?

I have not owned or used this knife but I can tell you from using a Kochi Kurouchi wa gyuto 240 mm, Kochi makes a great knife. The knife holds an edge well. Great cutter. Very thin behind the edge. Love using it.

Quote Originally Posted by bear1889 View Post
    I have not owned or used this knife but I can tell you from using a Kochi Kurouchi wa gyuto 240 mm, Kochi makes a great knife. The knife holds an edge well. Great cutter. Very thin behind the edge. Love using it.
    Let me ask you this considering they have a similar profile, does it have a lot of belly and/or an aggressive sweep?

Or is it relatively flat? Or even if it has an aggressive sweep, is there at least a nice sized flat spot?

i know this thread is in my vendor area, but i'm not sure if you want my help with this... let me know if you do

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    i know this thread is in my vendor area, but i'm not sure if you want my help with this... let me know if you do
    Absolutely, thanks Jon. I've actually been meaning to call you instead of email or posting here at the suggestion of a couple members, just been a little busy and it's easier for me to just randomly post the last few days.

But if you could post some of your thoughts ITT that would be awesome, I'm already leaning towards this knife just need to be pushed over the edge. Incorrect use of pun semi-intended haha.

I would rather let Jon answer he will be more detailed than I.

so... its got a medium amount of belly... not a lot at all though. The blade length is 148mm from heel to tip on the one i have in hand right now (and they are pretty consistent from blade to blade). Its very flat for about 80mm, mostly flat for 100mm, and the belly is really only the last 50mm. The tip is about 13mm higher than the flat section of the blade if that gives you an idea of the belly.

Its more like a tall petty than a mini gyuto though. The distal taper is quite nice, but its more of a medium thickness blade near the heel, but gets progressively thinner behind the edge as you move forward.

Aside from that, what else do you want to know?

Thanks that is great info. Hmm... so it's a half inch higher at the tip then the heel, that sounds like a kind of aggressive sweep, especially if it's got pretty much a 4 inch flat spot. Nothing wrong with that obviously, just not sure if that's what I'm looking for. Wish I could hold these in hand in person but I'm on the East coast haha.

Is there anyway you can post some pics with a complete side profile with the flat spot of the blade touching on a cutting board or any surface really?

i know these arent exactly the pictures you're looking for, but please take a few seconds to look at the various product photos we have up on the website, as they accurately show what the knives are like
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-petty.html