Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about this santoku

What do you think about this santoku

Looking for a knife around $150 for chopping. What do you think about this yoshihiro? http://www.amazon.com/Yoshihiro-Resi...hihiro+Santoku

Looks very similar to
    Minamoto Nashiji Blue #2 Santoku 180mm, you can google it and find a better price.
    Why dont you try a Hiromoto AS for around 130$?
    I hate to cut and run...

try japanesechefsknife
    I hate to cut and run...

I would give it a go. Yoshihiro has a solid rep among entry level knives. Amazon has good return policy. You could do lot worse. Though a 210 Gyuto would give you more versatility and have approx the same chopping length.

You would get some tailored recommendations if you fill out the "first knife" questionnaire at the top of this subforum.
    Older and wider..

Jon at JNI has a few pretty good option. One is thinner than a typical Santoku but a rip deal imo. Zakuri 165mm Blue #1 Kurouchi Tosagata Bocho

For me the question would be - what would be the advantage over Tojiro DP santoku that should cost about half as much. I have one at home right (for testing) now and can not find any fault with it.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    ...a 210 Gyuto would give you more versatility and have approx the same chopping length.

You would get some tailored recommendations if you fill out the "first knife" questionnaire at the top of this subforum.
    +1 to the 210 gyuto

Second point on the questionnaire would be most beneficial and would open up options that you are not aware of that may be a better match. You can find it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    Jon at JNI has a few pretty good option. One is thinner than a typical Santoku but a rip deal imo. Zakuri 165mm Blue #1 Kurouchi Tosagata Bocho
    I agree with this, that Zakuri is a great option for the money when available...in stock now
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Just ordered that Zakuri for my wife .... ha hahhh..

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Looks very similar to
    Minamoto Nashiji Blue #2 Santoku 180mm, you can google it and find a better price.
    Why dont you try a Hiromoto AS for around 130$?
    Do you think the Hiromoto is a better knife than http://www.amazon.com/Yoshihiro-Cutl...ords=yoshihiro
    Its $140 with tax and shipping

Yes, definitely.
    The one you linked to has core a steel of VG-10 ( ~ 60 HRC)
    The Hiromoto has a core steel of Aogami Super which is harder ( 62-63 HRC) and since it's carbon steel it will sharpen easier that stainless.
    You just have to take care to wipe it and keep it dry. It's clad in stainless but the edge will rust if you are not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven94 View Post
    Do you think the Hiromoto is a better knife than http://www.amazon.com/Yoshihiro-Cutl...ords=yoshihiro
    Its $140 with tax and shipping
    I hate to cut and run...