Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiromoto revisited - new geometry

Hiromoto revisited - new geometry

Handled a brand new Hiromoto AS
    190 Santoku today, and wondered
    about the geometry that has
    changed compared to what I was
    familiar with. It obviously got a spa treatment. The good old Hiromotos weren't so much thick behind the edge, but the thickening was quite abrupt. Now I found the left face slightly convexed instead of deadly
    flat, and a much larger part of the
    clad ground away. So, thinning the back face, which was the first thing to do, is done already.
    Did any others notice the same?

Here the left face of a new 270 gyuto after one day of use. The clad starts much higher than with older batches.

Liked the santoku so much you bought a gyuto?
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

The new geometry was decisive. Had sharpened a few older gyutos and didn't want to start with a heavy thinning operation. Don't care much about thinning in general, but haven't too much fun in removing all that soft stainless clad which is remarkably abrasion resistant.

What is the advantage of convexing the back (left) side of the knife over simply grinding it thinner but flat, or thinning on the front (right) side?

After reading http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...s-and-Wedging/ I guess you would not advocate convexing the left side but given your comments there don't you see the observation of "the left face slightly convexed" as a negative thing?

I haven't been very precise. I should have said the left side comes thinned behind the edge, which makes the grind slightly convexed, while the left bevel remains straight. Once you have friction balanced on both sides to eliminate steering, thinning should be performed equally on both sides or you will disturb the said balance.

Thank you.

I got a Hiromoto about half a year ago. I don't know whether it's got the new geometry, since I don't know what the old one is. However, I read that the old one was pretty thick behind the edge (or abruptly changing, as you write Ben). This one is definitely not. It also seems pretty symmetrical, the left site doesn't seem any different from the right site. It's definitely my favourite large gyuto.