Question about handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
I am still working on Damascus, but have started filling knife orders as well.
I have a question for you, how do you feel about man made materials, particularly micarta? For bolsters as well as for handles.
Let me know,
Thanks,
Del

I think micarta as well as G10(?) Certainly have their place in lines of knife handles. I've certainly seen some nice ones pass through. They certainly seem durable with good lifetime potential. I think knife makers should certainly offer it as an option.

I personally prefer natural stuff. I've only worked with micarta and G10 a couple of times and just don't enjoy it as much.
I can't explain it, but natural is the way to go.
IMHO!

I'm all about the natural stuff, but for an everyday working knife synthetic is the way to go for me.

I agree with ecchef. I much prefer natural things, but for work it's a different story. At work equipment takes a beating and micarta fits in great for this environment. I have seen a number of synthetics that look really nice but naturals trump IMO.

as a home cook and woodworker i can't stand plastic (alike).

Micarta is ok with me. I am more interested in knife blade steel and design. I have heard, on another forum that caters more to pocket and hunting knives, is that G10 causes a corrosion problem with carbon steel. It's just something I read in a thread not sure if true or not.

I have several knives with Micarta and G-10 ferrules and one knife with Butch Harner's Mycarta and don't have any aesthetic issues with them. I do prefer the appearance of paper Micarta over linen or canvas because of the visual texture, but the tactile properties are the same.

In my opinion, they are no different than stabilized wood in regard to being "manmade".

The reason I ask is because I have some on its way and I'll probably start using it. Got a deal I couldn't pass up, and I'll have a regular source now.
I guess the real way to tell is to start using it and see what the reaction is. My first thought was bolsters, but I have so much coming that I'll probably use some for handles as well.
Del

I am thinking mostly this would be for the stainless knives, for the Damascus I think I'll stick with the woods.

I used to be against it, but I had a parer made for a customer in Butch's Mycarta and it was so nice that I ordered some of my own. In fact, I'm switching out the material on my wife's parer to the pink stuff he makes, as well. Mycarta feels good, and G10 feels cold to me, making G10 more of a folder/tactical material, or for use in bolsters. I love (and I mean love) naturals, but a good Micarta is very nice, as well.

There should be a law against man made knife handles!!!:rofl2::D:wink::justkidding:

Back