• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 210 gyuto or santoku- stainless or semi-stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayeung74

Reaction score
Looking to buy a decent knife as a birthday present for my brother in law and this is what he wants. He prefers a knife with a tad more heft so no lasers or highly thinned knives. Western handles preferred, but wa handles are ok too. No highly assymetrical grinds, but a slight bias may be ok.
Entertaining all options, but must be in good condition (as this is a gift) :biggrin:

My max budget is $150, but I'd like to keep it under that.

I'd buy a new knife if I were you. Gonna be hard to find something in the 210mm range with any heft to it. The heaviest 210mm gyuto I've held with a western handle was probably a Mac. Good luck with your search!

A Mac woul be a great choice, actually. What about a Glestain from Korin?

What do you mean by a "tad" more heft? Like Wusthof/Henckels heft? Or just not a laser? And, is your brother in law a lefty?

The Germans happen to be strongly handle hefty. I can't believe that's what you meant. I still believe the Hiromotos are a great introduction to Japanese knives.

Good call on the Hiromoto! They're great. So good, I forgot! Haha

No highly assymetrical grinds, but a slight bias may be ok.

I love my Glestain buuuutttt the comment above is the only reason I would not recommend one. On a side note, I still love them.

-Chuck

Back