Heiji geometry

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphex

Reaction score
I finally got my hands on a Heiji ss gyuto and was suprised by just how asymmetrical the grind is. For some reason i was expecting it to be closer to 50/50 than this.

Is this the normal grind for Heiji? The reason why i ask is because that shorter, sticky out heel to tip secondary bevel looks like a wedge waiting to happan. To me that left hand bevel looks like it could do with a touch of thinning, particularly at the belly and tip.

I should point out that i haven't used the knife yet, so i could be worried about nothing.

These pics don't show the true extent of the "wedgeness" of the left hand bevel, but it's the best i could do with faiding light.

2d2entk.jpg

347ck0o.jpg

It looks like other Heijis I've seen. The answer to thinning will likely become evident through use.

That's more asymmetric than any of mine. I would use it first before worrying.

Yeah. Use it. I thought the same thing when I first saw them. I had to borrow one first to be convinced they deserved a spot in my block.

I find Heijis to be wedgies, pretty bad, really, but in all other aspects they are wonderful.

I find Heijis to be wedgies, pretty bad, really, but in all other aspects they are wonderful.

In your experience, when have the Heijis you've used/owned wedged?

I just used a Heiji for the first time this past weekend. I was impressed. The geometry of a Heiji is special.

The geometry of a Heiji is special.

It looks like the center of the blade is hollow ground...and while it does seem a little thick 1cm or so above the edge, in use that probably wouldn't be an issue. Maybe in an actual true push cut it could wedge, but I think with even a slight forward or drawing motion the wedging could be negated.

Interesting grind.

In your experience, when have the Heijis you've used/owned wedged?

I just used a Heiji for the first time this past weekend. I was impressed. The geometry of a Heiji is special.

I find that for cutting thin slices off of anything they can't be beat, but I also find that in a thick carrot, a daikon or anything else had they take a lot more pressure to get through and create cracking nearly every time. Sure, I can mitigate it by changing the way I cut a little, but that isn't appealing to me.

interesting, my heiji 240 carbon can slice potato easily.

Mine performed well for most tasks except chopping, where it seemed to wedge a bit.

The front half of all of my Heijis is significantly svelter than the back half. Taking this into consideration has prevented wedging, in my use.

I cut a ton of big, thick, hard, ripe, delicious carrots for tomorrows slaw, all using my 270 Heiji, which is my biggest, thickest Heiji (and the one I've spent the least time thinning, as it's a wonderful slicer), and as long as I used it correctly, it was fantastic. If you buy a 911 Turbo, you can't use it like a Civic, but it can do most anything you want, if you use it right. Heiji is the same. If that's not good enough for you, go use a lesser knife. I've used a lot of knives, and there is a reason I own 4 Heijis.

Back