• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Tanaka Western Damascus R2 240mm Gyuto $475 OBO

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Reaction score
I don't care if R2 is SG2. The Tanaka R2 Gyuto was a unicorn for me for sooooo loooong. And after I got it it was still magical. I can remember seeing Tanaka's like this one on the old board and drooling over them. Every time I had the money to buy one new I would call and they'd be sold out.

I think that this might be Theory's favorite knife. If it isn't, it was for a long time!

Great cutter. The feeling that I get using this knife is that it is nimble. and sharp!

This knife is a Western handled (Ironwood) Damascus SaiMai with a R2(SG2) core.

$475 OBO

View attachment 18500
View attachment 18501
View attachment 18502
View attachment 18503

Crap. How can two of MY unicorns go up in two weeks?

Oh snap! Man, if only my money tree would start to show some friggin "fruit"!

How come you're selling it if you don't mind me asking

Interested, but want to see it if I could. Pics are not working.

Its morning...as promised, pictures of the Tanaka. I cant believe I'm selling this because I wanted it for so long...

tanaka handle.jpg

tanaka edge.jpg

tanaka left.jpg

tanaka right.jpg

tanaka damascus.jpg

Wow. Handle and Damascus close up pics are horrible. I will shoot some more and post them.

If you buy this knife and then sell it at a later date, I'd like the right of first refusal.

tanaka damas.jpg

tanaka hand.jpg

tanaka pro.jpg

Looks really nice. I have recently bought a Tanaka R2 Damascus Gyuto WA - and the damascus looks different - more contrast as one of the components is quite a bit darker than the other one. I am just wondering where does the difference to your knife come from.

This one has also been on my list for a long time, but I'm in the same situation as you.
I admire your ability to part with it(and at a very reasonable price), and I'm astounded that it's still here.
-Makes me wonder if perhaps people don't realize what they're seeing. Tanaka's are knives that have that x-factor presence is person (like Shig or some of the better customs) that's really difficult/ impossible to capture in person. Seeing one of these for sale here and at this price is far more rare than a DT ITK western or even a Martell and objectively it's every bit as good.

GLWS, it' taking all my will power not to just end this now...

The numbers...50mm heel edge to spine, 235mm heel to tip

Oh yeah, this is an older knife and made by Kazayuki Tanaka.

Unbelievable this is still here, haunting me. I would trade my Shig for this, or the rights to my third born for that matter

I almost bought the damn thing myself.

Latest posts

Back