stone tub recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleue

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to pass on some helpful info I found. My girlfriend was tired of me using our wash basin for my soaking stones so it got me looking/researching for something inexpensive that would do the job. I settled on an iris watertight tote with a 19 qt capacity. I don't think you can direct link on this site, nor do I have any incentive, but they can be had at west marine and the container store. It does an okay job keeping water in, certainly not water tight like a pelican case or anything as it's designed to keep water out technically, but it's a great size, not too heavy full of water and stones, and I can fit all my soakers flat side by side in the tub without any problems (Naniwa Omura, JNS 800, Naniwa Akamon XL 1000, Synthetic Aoto XL 2000) all of which are by no means small.

I bought a second one too for non-soaking storage, stone flattener, stone holder, strop, spray bottle etc. so it can just get stacked on top and stay organized.

Out of curiosity, what does everyone else use for their stone storage?

Howzit pleue I just use a drugstore Rubbermaid dishpan.I get them on sale,keep a clean one for mixing stuff like party potato salad semi large batch.Keep one for handwashing Rashguard & wetsuit vests.Use another for stones it is the funky one,store it in the laundry room.

Let them air dry then store them in a Tansu wt. plastic shelf liner bottom of drawer.

I've moved away from soakers and use mostly naturals now with some splash and go synthetics. I have a small rack that I use for drying out used stones, then everything goes on shelves.

This: 4070369_xlg.jpg

I like medium depth (the 6 inch ones?) Lexans that you can find at restaurant supply stores. You can get lids for them which will help reduce splashing when removing these things around, but the seal usually isn't tight enough that you can tilt the container upside without dripping. The 2 and 4 qt Rubbermaids that you can find at restaurant supply stores are pretty nice too, and they have a tighter fitting lid. They're about 8 inch by 7 inch, and their height depends on whether you get a 2 qt (~2.5 inch) or 4 qt (~5 inches).

Back