Looking for a stainless parer for my dad

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryann

Reaction score
Hi guys

KNIFE TYPE
Paring knife

Right handed

Western handle

~80-120mm

Has to be stainless

Budget: $70

KNIFE USE

-For home

-Just for peeling fruits (and going through apples)

-Replacing a 'Felix Solingen' (generic x15CrOMo50 German paring knife IMO)

-The edge I've been putting on the parer is around 20-25* on both sides, but the edge doesn't last many apples

-With regard to comfort/aesthetics, i'd say 'utilitarian' - nothing fancy or fugly

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

I sharpen his knives on a king #1000

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Using wusthofs for most of his life, I think dad prefers a tough knife (low HRC?), and i'm looking for an upgrade which has an edge that will actually stay there for a reasonable period (including honing)

Looked at K-sabatier but I'm not sure if I'm looking at a modern sabatier or an antique one. Don't know if there's anything wrong with the modern ones, just that I've only heard good things about the antique carbon ones) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NZJ72M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Misono Molybdenum 80mm?

Tojiro DP 90mm? (leaning on this one as of now)

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated!

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Misono and it works quite well. The two rivet handle is unique. Imagine availability and shipping will be impotent to you in AU and part of the decision.

http://korin.com/Misono-Molybdenum-Paring-Knife

If you can reach a little deeper into your pocket the Delbert Ealy parer makes a great gift. Perfect apple, pear, etc cutter.

The steel is nothing fancy of course but I find these a delight to use and also very functional:

Sabatier K nogent olive wood handle - they come as a set of three so one for your dad, one for you, and you can gift/sell the third! I saved on shipping by also ordering a 10" chefs (the Canadian Antique),

475_______3%20offices%20nogent_1439.jpg

Other nice European options are Robert Herder/Windmill, or Opinel.

Man, this looks like a pretty good deal: check petersofkensington - Opinel essentials - set - 4 piece: $25 + shipping from Sydney.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, really appreciate it! I ended up with the Misono 80mm parer from amazon japan: http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%91%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AA%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0-%E3%83%84%E3%83%90%E4%BB%98-%E3%83%A2%E3%83%AA%E3%83%96%E3%83%87%E3%83%B3%E9%8B%BC-%E3%83%9F%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8E-No-534/dp/B001RSKAZ4/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1378743475&sr=1-3&keywords=%E3%83%9F%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8E%E3%80%80%EF%BC%98%EF%BD%83%EF%BD%8D

Re shipping, the misono comes to about 4500 yen shipped to the forwarding service, and i'm buying other stuff like an iwatani blowtorch http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%B2%A9%E8%B0%B7%E3%83%9E%E3%83%86%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A2%E3%83%AB-CB-TC-CPRO2-%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AF%E3%82%BF%E3%83%8B-%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BB%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%82%AC%E3%82%B9%E5%BC%8F%E3%83%88%E3%83%BC%E3%83%81%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8A%E3%83%BC-%E3%81%8A%E6%96%99%E7%90%86%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8A%E3%83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%83%97%E3%83%ADII/dp/B00ATUT8CC/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1378140077&sr=1-8&keywords=%E3%82%AC%E3%82%B9%E3%80%80%E3%83%90%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8A%E3%83%BC and a certain 'defective' knife (240mm usuba LOL), whose origin i will disclose after receiving it :lol2:

@Steven they do look very nice, actually i will keep those in mind as a gift

@vonblewitt thanks, i spent quite a while staring at it and reading about MACs (seemed to fit the bill perfectly), but it seems my dad wanted a really short parer

@daveb thanks for the endorsement!

@Seb thanks, this is coming outta nowhere but i have the feeling that the misono stainless would perform better than the modern (?) sabatier stainless. Although its too late to change, I would welcome anyone to tell me otherwise - haven't found out about this anywhere on the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the modern French stainless: while for other cutlery, the French love Swedish stuff a lot, for kitchen knives they stick with very soft steels. Has all to do with the steeling habits on the home market, amongst pros just as under the general public. Expect the best French stainless to be a very average German one, just a bit softer. To be avoided.

I have the Misono parer too and hardly use it. The Sabs are a lot thinner and lighter. Another nice small knife is the Fujiwara-Kanefusa FKM 120mm petty.

Those Sabatier paring knives are the best paring knives made. They are basically like a little exacto knife. I don't think there is a design that beats it. Maybe an Ealy parer, which I'm sure is 100% nicer. But the Sab parer is functionality at its finest!

I haven't tried those, but wish I could get them in the US. Anyone have a source for that set of 3?

I can say that I prefer my French parers to the Japanese ones I've tried. Even if the steel is crappy, I don't really need as nice of steel in my parer. The french ones I've tried (Nogent brand--not Sab Nogent, Opinel, La Panthere) have all had great light handles and good profiles.

i would recommend just getting the smallest one in that set. its like 40 bucks

I know TheBestThings sells the ebony handled ones in carbon, but I haven't been able to find that small size in stainless online anywhere. I actually like the look of the olivewood, too, but I guess that's not essential.

If anyone in the SF Bay Area wants to buy just the largest one and split shipping with me from France, I'll take the smaller two in the set. They sell them here: http://www.sabatier.us/us_kitchen-k...ent-parers---olive-wood-handle__3nogoliv.html

They actually sent me all three the same length! I was like '???'.

3.75, I think.

Wanna read something really funny? I packed the two spares away and now I have no idea where they are! :scratchhead::clown:

I know TheBestThings sells the ebony handled ones in carbon, but I haven't been able to find that small size in stainless online anywhere. I actually like the look of the olivewood, too, but I guess that's not essential.

If anyone in the SF Bay Area wants to buy just the largest one and split shipping with me from France, I'll take the smaller two in the set. They sell them here: http://www.sabatier.us/us_kitchen-k...ent-parers---olive-wood-handle__3nogoliv.html

Individual Sab stainless here at best things...they have olivewood and red stamina (whatever that is).

I'm gonna go outside the beaten track: consider the Kanetsugu Pro-M petty from JCK :)

Back